Maya the Yellow-crowned Amazon

GordonT

Sep 13, 2023
Parrots
Yellow-crowned Amazon
I buried my dear companion Maya today. She went everywhere with me - loved riding in the car (often on my shoulder as I drove!) and I took her to all kinds of social events. I only had her for three years, and she was 3 when I got her. I took her camping with friends at the weekend. She was fine yesterday morning. It was dull and cold, and I went cycling and left her in the tent. The sun came out later, and I was gone about 4 hours. When I got back, expecting the usual happy "hello!" greeting I found her lying on the cage floor. She was still alive, but died a few minutes later - I'm not sure why. I feel devastated,and guilty,- she was the joy of my life, and a delightful little spirit. I can hardly believe she left me so quickly and unexpectedly.
20230822_073912.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I buried my dear companion Maya today. She went everywhere with me - loved riding in the car (often on my shoulder as I drove!) and I took her to all kinds of social events. I only had her for three years, and she was 3 when I got her. I took her camping with friends at the weekend. She was fine yesterday morning. It was dull and cold, and I went cycling and left her in the tent. The sun came out later, and I was gone about 4 hours. When I got back, expecting the usual happy "hello!" greeting I found her lying on the cage floor. She was still alive, but died a few minutes later - I'm not sure why. I feel devastated,and guilty,- she was the joy of my life, and a delightful little spirit. I can hardly believe she left me so quickly and unexpectedly.View attachment 59209
It's often said because it's true, that the pain and grief we feel at their passing is equal in measure to the love and joy we share with them in life. Maya was so blessed to have known your love, @GordonT, I'm just so sorry it was not for longer but really it can never be long enough. My deepest sympathies and condolences go out to you, I'm so sorry for your loss and I wish your girl Godspeed to the Bridge - she will make her journey there wrapped up in all your love 🌈🙏💝

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I’m so sorry for the loss of Maya. Take time to heal & grieve at your own pace. It hurts losing our parrots. They play a huge roll in our lives.

OP
G

GordonT

Sep 13, 2023
Parrots
Yellow-crowned Amazon
It's often said because it's true, that the pain and grief we feel at their passing is equal in measure to the love and joy we share with them in life. Maya was so blessed to have known your love, @GordonT, I'm just so sorry it was not for longer but really it can never be long enough. My deepest sympathies and condolences go out to you, I'm so sorry for your loss and I wish your girl Godspeed to the Bridge - she will make her journey there wrapped up in all your love 🌈🙏💝
Thanks for your kind words

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I offer my condolences to you. I too have had a loved parrot just ..... go one day. No warning , no symptoms, just ... gone. We had Max for 6 years and he was a young bird. I find it helps to remember all the good, funny times rather then to dwell on the loss. It helps me. A real shame, Yellow Crown Amazons are some of the nicest Amazons out there, and its sad when one dies way prematurely.

OP
G

GordonT

Sep 13, 2023
Parrots
Yellow-crowned Amazon
Thank you - I'm sure you're right,and we did have many memorable times together. I've often looked at your posts and videos and enjoyed Salty's antics!

Most Reactions

Latest posts