Is my white budgie okay?

PinkSparkleLps

Apr 15, 2024
Parrots
Parakeets
IMG_8329.jpeg

These are my budgies Sundew (blue + yellow male) and Winter (white + blue female)
I’ve been very worried about Winter lately, and have been wondering if she’s sick at all. I know it’s difficult to spot until it’s almost too late (my previous 2 budgies hid their illnesses really well) and i’m concerned on whether it’s serious or if i’m thinking of the worst case scenario.
I’ve had Winter for about 4 years now. I’ve noticed how much smaller she is than Sundew (though i’m unsure if it means anything) and I think she’s more hunched over when sitting on the perch whereas Sundew seems to sit straight up. She’s as vocal as ever though and still climbs and moves around as she normally would. The feathers on her head seem to be messy and unpreened. She’s never really let either Prism (one of my old birds) or Sundew touch her much even though she likes to go where they do, but she’s rubbed her head on things to get rid of the wax herself before.
I’m aware budgies live on average of 5-8 years and i’m worried that she’s on her way out. I can’t take her to a vet as I can’t drive myself and don’t have the money, and my parents say it’s too expensive (even though getting birds was their idea in the first place).
I just want to know if she still has longer to be here or if I should start mentally preparing myself for when she goes away.

Attachments

• IMG_8303.jpeg
    IMG_8303.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 10

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
View attachment 58818
These are my budgies Sundew (blue + yellow male) and Winter (white + blue female)
I’ve been very worried about Winter lately, and have been wondering if she’s sick at all. I know it’s difficult to spot until it’s almost too late (my previous 2 budgies hid their illnesses really well) and i’m concerned on whether it’s serious or if i’m thinking of the worst case scenario.
I’ve had Winter for about 4 years now. I’ve noticed how much smaller she is than Sundew (though i’m unsure if it means anything) and I think she’s more hunched over when sitting on the perch whereas Sundew seems to sit straight up. She’s as vocal as ever though and still climbs and moves around as she normally would. The feathers on her head seem to be messy and unpreened. She’s never really let either Prism (one of my old birds) or Sundew touch her much even though she likes to go where they do, but she’s rubbed her head on things to get rid of the wax herself before.
I’m aware budgies live on average of 5-8 years and i’m worried that she’s on her way out. I can’t take her to a vet as I can’t drive myself and don’t have the money, and my parents say it’s too expensive (even though getting birds was their idea in the first place).
I just want to know if she still has longer to be here or if I should start mentally preparing myself for when she goes away.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
You made some good points and I'll do my best to address them.

I'll start with your last point of mentally being prepared for death. I think it's a good idea to try and be mentally prepared for the death of people close to us including our pets. I know it's depressing to think about but death is a fact of life and it is easier to deal with if your at peace with the reality of it.

Your right that birds hide their illness very well. One day they look fine, next day their all fluffed up at the bottom of the cage and the next day they can be dead. Life can be cruel but our spirit and adversity through such trials makes us stronger.

Has winter lost weight or has she always been small? If she's always been small then that's fine, they can vary in size. But if she's lost weight then that's not a good sign. I keep track of the weight of my birds so that I can notice any sudden weight difference.

Those feathers on its head that you describe sound like pin feathers. Brand new feathers that are growing and coming out. Sandew would of had them as well, maybe you didnt notice them. Sounds normal

You say that her behaviour is the same? I think that's a really good indicator that she is hopefully fine. Of course I'm not a vet and im only giving my opinion from what you told us, but I think she's fine 🙂👍

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Your birds are very beautiful! It is hard to know when our birds are sick as they do hide it well. If Winter still has energy and is eating well, then those are good signs that she is doing okay. If she has pin feathers on her head, it’s possible that she’s molting right now. Some birds act no differently when molting but some find it uncomfortable and tiring. It’s possible that’s what is going on with Winter. Hopefully she is ok ❤️

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
View attachment 58818
Do you know with certainty that she is a girl? Is she egg bound maybe?

is the hunching a change in her posture or has she always been like that?

Just monitor her for any changes. Be sure that they are getting good sleep and nutritious foods.

Most Reactions

Latest posts