I don’t know what’s wrong with my african grey parrot

LeenM

Apr 11, 2024
Parrots
Glafrican grey
Hello all
Im new to this forums l i hope someone can help
I have had my african grey for over a year now he’s been in my family for 7 years and he is living with me now
I have noticed that he has has some breathing issue like something stuck in his nostrils and he is making a sound from his nostrils when breathing
I examined his nostrils nothing seems to be in them but he is still breathing heavily
There are no other symptoms no diarrhea his appetite is great he is very active but the breathing issue has been going on for 7 months
Some of you might ask why haven’t i took him to an avien well i live in syria we have no avien vets i took him to one vet he gave me some vitamins and antibiotics he was better for a month then he relapsed
might it be because of the winter in syria? We have very cold winters and the temperature changes in the room he is in
What can i do please can someone help me?
Note:
I can’t touch him or hold him or anything he is not trained we rescued him from a family that abused him and since then he wont le anyone touch or carry him but we love him anyways :)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Temperature and humidity can be very important in how well your bird is breathing. Most parrots come from parts of the world with a high humidity.
Try getting your bird into the shower/bathroom when taking hot shower.
humidifier can help also.

OP
LeenM

LeenM

Apr 11, 2024
Parrots
Glafrican grey
Temperature and humidity can be very important in how well your bird is breathing. Most parrots come from parts of the world with a high humidity.
Try getting your bird into the shower/bathroom when taking hot shower.
humidifier can help also.
That’s a really great idea im gonna try it! Thank you so much
I started him on a course of antibiotics and anti allergic medication and vitamins for five days
I hope that if there is any respiratory infection it will go away

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
Hello all
Im new to this forums l i hope someone can help
I have had my african grey for over a year now he’s been in my family for 7 years and he is living with me now
I have noticed that he has has some breathing issue like something stuck in his nostrils and he is making a sound from his nostrils when breathing
I examined his nostrils nothing seems to be in them but he is still breathing heavily
There are no other symptoms no diarrhea his appetite is great he is very active but the breathing issue has been going on for 7 months
Some of you might ask why haven’t i took him to an avien well i live in syria we have no avien vets i took him to one vet he gave me some vitamins and antibiotics he was better for a month then he relapsed
might it be because of the winter in syria? We have very cold winters and the temperature changes in the room he is in
What can i do please can someone help me?
Note:
I can’t touch him or hold him or anything he is not trained we rescued him from a family that abused him and since then he wont le anyone touch or carry him but we love him anyways :)
Is anyone smoking in the house? What is your source of heating? Wood stove? Coal? Radiator? Or electric?

I hope the increase in humidity has helped.

OP
LeenM

LeenM

Apr 11, 2024
Parrots
Glafrican grey
Is anyone smoking in the house? What is your source of heating? Wood stove? Coal? Radiator? Or electric?

I hope the increase in humidity has helped.
Yes there was smoking but since he started breathing like that i started putting him in another room
Unfortunately the humidity didnt help but his breathing is escalating only at night in the mornings he is fine and even through the day he is eating well and he is active alot but only at night time he starts breathing heavily

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Wow... if only you had an avian vet.
Just a shot...

Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Just an idea but if there are any zoos you might confer with, they often have vets who are train in avian medicine. Video conferencing is better then nothing!

Most Reactions

Latest posts