Ekkie split his tail feather

GabeB

Jan 13, 2020
Tennessee
Parrots
Red sided Eclectus
Umbrella Cockatoo
Blue Masked Lovebird
Hey all, I was hoping I could get some guidance on what to do about a split tail feather. Echo split it right near the base, near his body, and there is a small amount of bleeding. I'm waiting to hear back from his vet for their opinion. I'm worried about restraining him, that just stresses me out personally. I have some styptic powder to stop the bleeding if I do need to pull it. Any advice on restraining and what do to about the feather would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hey all, I was hoping I could get some guidance on what to do about a split tail feather. Echo split it right near the base, near his body, and there is a small amount of bleeding. I'm waiting to hear back from his vet for their opinion. I'm worried about restraining him, that just stresses me out personally. I have some styptic powder to stop the bleeding if I do need to pull it. Any advice on restraining and what do to about the feather would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!
Toweling a parrot can be VERY challenging. A parrot could get very hurt if you arenā€™t trained on how to restrain (towel) them. Vets can teach you how to do this, and they have safer techniques that are less stress for the parrot. I have styptic powder on me at all times too.

Another option is to call local parrot shelters, and pet stores. Sometimes they have people who are trained on how to towel parrots. There are a few shelters about an hour from me that do parrot grooming.

I wish I could be of more help but this is in a chat over a computer. It would be a very hard thing to explain, and not to mention Iā€™m not there in person to see how your parrot is perceiving the situation.

If you arenā€™t trained on how to towel a parrotā€¦ I nick named Ekkie beaks ā€œscissor beakā€. They can cut through skin very easily. My Ekkie got my husband through his sweatshirt. It was a pretty bad bite. Iā€™m very lucky to of never been bit by my Ekkie.

Most Reactions

Latest posts