Eclectus

Benji02

May 1, 2024
Parrots
Morrison the ecckie
Hi guys I’m very new to this me and my partner have bout a Eckkie 14 months old could Morrison I’m looking at buying a light for the cage is there anything specific I’m looking for ie brightness or anything like that thanks

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
@SailBoat is really educated on lighting for parrots. Hopefully they chime in.

I know that if you do choose to do lighting that you want a UVI under 5. Their corneas are sensitive to ultraviolet light.

OP
Benji02

Benji02

May 1, 2024
Parrots
Morrison the ecckie
Thanks hopefully they’ll let me know

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Interestingly, the lights advertised to Avian use are in reality for reptiles, which have totally different needs and those lights should not be using for Avians as they are too bright and create too much heat. Do Not Buy those Products!!

Surprise!! The best lighting is low cost and at you local Hardware or Big Box Stores!

Test for the level of light needed. Depending on what room you have your Parrot in while not sleeping, that is the room you want to target. Most individual have their Parrots with them and that works well as both your Parrot and You should have about the same amount of light! Living rooms are common, but this process can be used in any room. The goal is to create the brightest light based on what lighting is needed at Noon on a bright, cloudless, day. Normally not much is needed. Normally, we would be looking at either 40 or at most 60 watt bulbs with 2 to 5 bulbs at most, depending on the size off the room. Target lights that are controlled by an electrical switch. If they are not a dimmable style switch, change or have them changed to dimmable switches.

Buy LED, Daylight Series light bulbs, a couple of 40 watt bulb 'packs' of 4 or 6 and the same for 60 watt bulbs. Look closely at the life projection for the bulbs!! Target the longest life series as changing bulbs is a pain in the butt. Yes, they cost a bit more, but as the price of everything keeps going up, you in fact save more over the years of additional life.

Setting the level of light for you and your Parrot: Using 60 watt bulbs, adjust the Dimmer to about half the overall brightness out-put, turn the light set on. With the light set off, move so you are about 6 feet (2 meters) from the light set and close your eyes, have another individual turn-on the light set. Open and quickly close your eyes. If you have bright spots in your closed eyes, the set has too much wattage. Change the set to the 40 watt bulbs and try again. Commonly, one or the other will be correct.

NOTE: At night, you will want to continually adjust the brightness of the bulb set to duplicate what is happening outside, reducing the amount of light downward. Point being, at about an hour to two hours before bed time for your Parrot, other than the TV there should be no supplement lights on!! Maintaining Noon Brightness all the time will cause you're and your Parrot's Bio-Clocks to reset and you will find it being even more difficult to easily fall asleep!!

You will likely have question, but the point is, do not buy reptile bulbs for your Parrot!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts