Your experiences- Best or Worst cage/s for macaws

Spyro

Jun 29, 2014
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and need some advice!
We have a 8week baby Catalina macaw that will soon be big enough for a 'real' cage;) Hoping to get feedback and advice regarding type/brand or even do it yourself/have it made cage. I was looking at the Kings 508 European Stye but unsure if it is really suitable for a Macaw, or if (for the money spent) something larger? So any advice would be greatly appreciated!

When I saw that Jody ate off the powder coated paint on her ring stand and it was time to get her a larger cage I went with Expandable Habitats SS cage and never regretted it.

I don't trust anything coming out of China and that is where these cages are made now. Didn't we already lean our lesson about the lead in paint and the melamine-tainted milk?

I don't like the horizontal bars either. It is bad enough if a bird poops on the bars but when it fall down to the next bar below, and the next, and the next, you get the picture. With vertical bars it will generally just slide down the one

The type roof it has will limit you on how/what and where you can hang things. Not wild about those curly things up there either.

Best is too subjective. Worst however...hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 479
Hi there, and welcome to the forum. :)

Many congrats on your Catalina! How super exciting!! :D

I'm not familiar with the Kings #506. Just did a quick search on their site and couldn't find it.

My B&G is in a Kings #506 King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

I LOVE that cage. If I would have had the necessary funds, I would have gotten my GW the exact same cage.

My greenwing is in a similar cage, only that one is the DOUBLE macaw cage. Same shape, just a tad wider. It was meant to house a breeding pair of large macaws. (Not that she ever actually goes inside the thing... spoiled rotten bird!) I like the dome top or scalloped top to accommodate those long tails. Young birds tend to get them caught in everything anyway.

Redfront on down, the rest of my birds are in 40x30 macaw sized playtops.

Last edited:
I've read good things about these walk-in cages: Natural Inspirations Parrot Cages
This one is nice, too: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Enormous-Double-Macaw-Cage-Color/dp/B003SJBZPO/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1404146329&sr=1-2&keywords=double+macaw+cage"]Amazon.com : Enormous Double Macaw Bird Cage Color: Platinum : Birdcages : Pet Supplies[/ame]

Though I agree that Expandable Habitats stainless steel would be the way to go, IF you have the money.

Worst, hmmm...well, this cage seems to be a good value but I have read many negative reviews: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Hendryx-Silverado-Macaw-Bird/dp/B006GRA5JM]Amazon.com : Prevue Hendryx Silverado Macaw Bird Cage : Birdcages : Pet Supplies[/ame]

I also used to work at a pet store, and the large macaw there lived in this cage. He had snapped a large number of the bars, and it was really too small for a bird with such a large wingspan.

I also think A&E has a nice cage for the money I have a A&E 9004030 that I got for a STEAL from Petco (40 inches by 30 inches dome top)

If you have the room you should go for the 48 X 36 Dometop
(dome tops are better than play tops for big macs)

BUT I would not buy it from Amazon, in researching I found a lot of "knock offs" on Amazon :eek:
AND on the web in general I found a lot of "knock offs"

I think A&E makes a Strong cage (for the price point) I really like mine!!
Petco and A&E took good care of me, one of the legs was damaged (not shipping damage) and they gave me a whole new cage front
AND paid my gas to come pick it up across the river in NJ
(if anyone needs help with Petco I have the top level contact for customer service, I also have a contact for A&E JUST PM ME)

My Son Joey and I at the Warehouse
JoeyatAandEcage.jpg

The night I assembled the cage I shot a video
NOTE: Having an electric screw driver cut assembly down to 45 minutes!!
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iObLBRNG5AA"]Petco A & E Cage 4030 Assembly Completed !! - YouTube[/ame]

EDIT: I'm sorry, I forgot to WELCOME you to the forum and Congrats on the baby Catalina!!
BTW, We LOVE Pictures :)

Last edited:
Agreed, you can find better prices on A&E cages than Amazon -- that was just the first link I pulled up. I personally wouldn't go any smaller than a 64" x 32" double macaw cage for a large mac, but preferably 80" x 40". Or one of those walk-in cages. They have such large wingspans and are active birds! It really benefits them to have something roomier to fully spread and flap their wings in. Unless the bird is out most of the time and the cage is only for brief periods...still, the bigger the better.

Thank you for all the wonderful comments. Leaning toward the A&E walk in, however I think I'll start a new thread regarding the use of a power coated dog Kennel for indoor use.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back