Young Illiger's adopting me

Weezerj

Mar 29, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
Illiger's Macaw (Loki)
Got the new yesterday that I have been selected by a young Illiger's macaw to become his proud parront....

He will be arriving this coming Sunday and I'm so excited I can barely contain myself.

I am adopting him from a local rescue, but I would consider him more of a surrendered bird than a rescue as he is really a very well mannered little guy.

He comes with a cage, and I purchased his Java tree plan stand yesterday. I am waiting for some Sisal rope to make his climbing net (seems to be back ordered) and his full spectrum lamp should be here tomorrow (room has full spectrum bulbs in the overhead lighting already).

I think I will try and make some chop towards the end of the week, tho his foster parents are sending him with food so that I don't have to change his diet right away.

I could be happier. The foster parents have him extremely well socialized. He readily steps ups and if he bites, it is really very gentle.

I have Monday off for the holiday and am planning on using vacation for Tuesday and Wednesday. I know to let him get adjusted, but I want to be in the room soothing him if he gets a bit nervous in his new setting.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as this is my first time being owned by a macaw (or any parrot for that matter).

I should have included a pic, sorry.

Here he is with my son

10409349_10205593281929217_5045074534075946441_n.jpg

Congrats! I've always admired the Illiger's. I think their colors in person are absolutely stunning.

So the adoption finally went through! Glad to hear it...

This bird really does seem like a find. You don't see too many of these guys around...

Congratulations! He is a beauty, I can't wait to see more pictures after he gets home. Does he have a name yet?

Loki has landed! He arrived yesterday afternoon and has begun settling in. He has found a new favorite spot and will step up and even giving my son kisses.

I cannot say enough nice things about Exotic Bird Rescue of Oregon and especially his foster parents Tony and Laura. I couldn't be happier and I think Loki is excited about his new home.

I also need to give a shout out to April for the dehydrator, hoping to put into good use today or tomorrow. I have hop to make today...so planning on being pretty busy today.

I tried to post pics and was able to put 3 pics in my album, but this dang tablet won't let me copy the link to post here....so please check out my album to see Loki in his new home.

Lastly, thank all of you for help with all my question, you don't know how helpful it is to have such a resource at your fingertips!

What a super sweet looking Loki!! Many, MANY congrats!! :D

Here are your photos, for easier viewing pleasure. :)

weezerj-albums-loki-picture14605-image.jpg

weezerj-albums-loki-picture14604-image.jpg

weezerj-albums-loki-picture14603-image.jpg

Wow! He's a really pretty bird! I've never seen an illigers before. An interesting size too, something between the really mini macs and the big boys. You must be ecstatic to finally have him home:) Glad to hear he's settling in and keep us updated on his progress.

What a beautiful bird, congrats! Illiger's have always been one of my favorites of the mini macs and you don't see them often.

Congrats! Again, Loki is gorgeous! :) I used to want an Illiger's at one time. Not for me, but everytime I see one I can't help but stare at it lol. They're beautiful. Cute one at the bird store now, hubby and I played with last week.

Just finished a batch of chop and Loki approves!

He is very good at self entertaining, now we are going to work on allowing more contact. Assuming the key is to go slow with lots of positive re-I forcemeat?

Most Reactions

Back