Yellow faced parrot

Dander66

Jul 14, 2024
Parrots
My Red Bellied passed away
Have any of you had experience with one? The Internet is pretty devoid of information. I know its no longer classified as an Amazon, but until a few years ago it was. There's a cutie that's almost weaned available locally, and I put a deposit on the sweetie. Any advice would be appreciated. It's scientific name is Alipiopsitta xanthops

Well. I went by and hung out with my new friend. He preened my hair(good) and bit my ear(bad) lol. I can't wait to bring him home and start the bonding.

Strongly recommend that you visit the Amazon Forum here on Parrot Forum and read the two Threads at the the top of that Forum. They will provide you will very important information regarding loving and living with your Amazon!

Specific to your Amazon. I recommend that you assure (if you are located in North America or the EU) that the Seller provides you with a Hatch Certificate, which assure you it is not a Black Market Parrot. But, also provides you withe the name of the Breeder and contact information, the species of both parents and where the Parrot has been between Hatching and now.

Note: Black Market parrots have become common with the open Boarder to the South of the US.

Your Specific Amazon is part of the huge family of Amazona Parrots and although it is specific species it has connection with the Yellow-Nape and Double Yellow Head Amazons. Kind of a mix as they ranges abut each other. Point being you can use those two species for general information.

Face time with a new Amazon is commonly not recommended as you need to develop a Bond first and face bits can be very painful.

Target getting you Amazon DNA Sex tested and Microchipped!

I will be picking him up this weekend and am so excited. I've decided to name him Merlin. I've been visiting him regularly. He's already stepping up. This is him munching a dehydrated banana.

Attachments

• PXL_20240821_175528782.jpg
    PXL_20240821_175528782.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 6
Hi there, welcome! I’m just a parrot nerd 🤓

I don’t have an Amazon. I almost adopted one. I’ve have been around them for long periods. Once your Amazon hits puberty things can change a bit. I’m not the best at this but understanding & reading their body language is so important. It avoids a lot of unnecessary bites. Out of all of the parrots at the shelter the Amazon’s were the ones that were cheap shots, and they had a tendency to bite the new volunteers. They always looked like they wanted to step up, and get some head scratches to inexperienced volunteers (yes I was one of them I own it), and that’s not what they wanted at all. They were in fact sizing me up, and luring me in for a good ol’ bite. Usually when I was turning around to walk away.

Amazons are beautiful, intelligent, and stunning. There are a lot of great people in the forum with a substantial amount of experience with them. Best of luck! Your Amazon is adorable ❤️❤️❤️

Most Reactions

Back