Wooo Hooo my baby cape is coming Thursday!!

fishbait

Dec 11, 2011
Bastrop, TX
Parrots
Quincy-Sun Conure
Sooooooo excited, we have been waiting/searching for a male baby since December and we finally connected!!

Questions....anyone with capes.....does your cape sleep in a happy hut/ bird tent? I know my sun conure loves hers!

Also what does a person use to cover a huge cage (at night)....4' x 3' x 72" tall? just a blanket?

Also since he is 4mos do you think i should an old blanket in the bottom of cage to cushion if he falls?? Not sure how coordinated they are at this young age. Quincy (sun conure) was 6mos when she picked me :p for an owner and fell from a perch a few times in her cage the first month we had her.

Thanks!

Last edited:
oh i bet your excited :)

can't see anything wrong with an old blanket, as long as he won't get tangled up in it, should he venture onto it or fall on it

as for covering cage, what ever that'll go around it lol

good luck for thursday an hope to see pics soon!!

I was not too successful in posting pics to forums in past....but will try!

As long as the blanket isn't too thick it should be fine.(cover blanket)
That's a huge cage, I bet your baby will be very happy. And for the blanket on the bottom it cant be sringy or have like woven loops in it or the baby might get his claws stuck in it.

If you email me your pictures, I will try and upload them for you. Also, as far as the blanket goes, I say sure a little added protection never hurts. I always put a folded up towel on the bottom of Tiki's cage for a week after she gets her nails trimmed because she has slipped off of her perch a few times after the clipped sessions.

I have a 36 inch and 1 inch thick day care center type tumble mat in the bottom of Mac's cage. It took a pretty hard fall from his top perch the night that we got him. So to prevent him from getting hurt I made a trip to Walmart and bought one. It came with a nylon cover which can be scrubbed and it water resistant. I cost I think about $7.00.

I don't offer a tent/bird hut to mine; too many horror stories of injuries/deaths caused by stray threads.

I do cover her cage at night.

Thanks folks for the replies! This day is going so slow.....I am more nervous about Quincy's reaction (sun conure) to a new bird in the house sharing her attention more than anything!

Almost done Building another table top stand out of grapevine for "Dexter" as we named him, and if my manznaita wood comes UPS Saturday -plan to build a 48" tall play gym on casters for them both!

My wife says i should build and sell some! :rolleyes: I use Porcelain or ceramic tile piece over plywood or pine for the base for esthetics and poop cleanability so it can be a bit heavy to ship!

Congrats on your new flock member! I use king size blankets on my 2 bigger cages and I think Rowdy has queen size. I do have to get Rowdy new ones once in awhile because she chews holes in them. I buy her ones from Big Lots for $5.

We picked up Dexter last night at 7:30 pm from airport..........pictures just are not fair......he is so handsome with striking contrasting colors. I cannot express how satisfied i am he is truly a gentle giant! I took the day off to bond with him and after 3 months of researching our next bird could not be happier with choosing a cape at this point in time!

My biggest challenge is trying to divide my time between him and my sun conure....she is demanding and jealous of my (our) time.

Will try to post some pics.....if i cannot i will email Mike to do so!!

My attempt to post pics.....not so good i have never been on a forum that i just can't pick from my c drive and post......will ask Mike!!

It might be worth opening a photobucket account, uplpoading the pictures there and linking them to here. :)

Not the easiest way to post pics....but here he is! He is so much more than i ever thought he could be.....What a magnificent gentle bird!

Ooh, he is very pretty! I don't know if I've ever seen one before.

The Sun may always be jealous, but in time may come to accept the new guy as a friend as well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back