Wondering if anyone has seen this with wings...

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
When I got Ginger she was in rough condition. She had a spot on each wing in the same place on both sides. If you're facing her, they are toward the front top of the wing, about 1/4 of the way down (from the top), and you can't see them unless she opens her wings. They are kind of like scabs and when she flaps her wings, more often than not, they bleed a little. Not alot, but I have quick stop just in case they do. I asked the vet about it when we took them in but she didn't know what it would be from. I will try to get a pic of it but it will be hard. I thought I had heard about a way to "clip" them that was pretty drastic, however, it was so many years ago that I don't remember what it was, but I wondered if the previous owner may have tried it (I know there is no way of knowing for sure). I did look up pinioning and I don't think that is it. There are so many unanswered questions with my poor little Ginger:confused:.

So, I guess my question is, does anyone have any suggestions of something safe I can put on her to help them heal up for good? Maybe coconut oil or something? I don't think she is doing it herself.

On a bright note she has a tail feather coming in...YAY!!:D

Poor little Ginger. My little Sweet Pea was given an awful clip, more of a mangle really, right before I adopted her. The feathers that were clipped super close bothered her through about three molts, she would pull out the new feathers as soon as they appeared. She made herself bleed a few times, but she only picked at the clipped feathers. I used corn starch to stop the bleeding. Does Ginger like baths, plain water from a mist bottle seemed to help more than anything. I used 100% aloe juice to three parts water when the skin was irritated. It took a while but once Sweet Pea finally stopped picking at the new feathers long enough to let them come in.

I saw and how to do video on wing clipping about 30 years ago. It was barbaric, it involved cutting the skin at the ends of the wings to destroy the roots of the feathers so that they would never grow back in! This might've been what you were referring to. I'm sure glad I have never seen anything like that since!

Thank you Allee! Ginger is pretty good (better than Fred) about misting with a spray bottle, surprisingly! I have used a little aloe juice in warm water. I haven't seen her pick at the spots but of course I can't watch her round the clock so it is possible. I will still try to get a pic if I can. One thing that came to mind...how much blood does it take to get the dna/disease test done? I won't "make" her bleed but sometimes just flapping her wings getting her out of the cage is all it takes to get spots of blood.

I saw and how to do video on wing clipping about 30 years ago. It was barbaric, it involved cutting the skin at the ends of the wings to destroy the roots of the feathers so that they would never grow back in! This might've been what you were referring to. I'm sure glad I have never seen anything like that since!

That sounds like what I heard about many years ago. I know it was awful!! It seems like I remember something called "notching" the wings but I can't find anything on it. Hopefully, like Allee said, it's just a repercussions of a bad wing clip.

Leanna, it only takes a tiny drop of blood for the test. Avian Biotech and I'm sure other labs give you the option of using feathers instead, but they have to be freshly plucked from the breast.

I think Ginger will thrive in every way, including her feather growth now that she's being loved and cared for. It doesn't take long for a healthy diet to make lots of difference to feather condition and appearance.

Yes...I told my husband either she looks a little better already or I'm just getting used to her...lol. But Fred looks better too! His tailfeathers look almost like an olive color up close.

Ugly! Found it, pinioning! Done on water fowl! Even though still done today, it is considered barbaric!

Yes it is!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back