Wild and crazy jump!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Broke through decades of fear, anxiety, and finally skydived via "tandem jump!" Thrill of a lifetime, utterly contradictory experience. Jump from aircraft, inverted roll, and freefall a mesmerizing rush. Serene driftdown once chute opened, able to speak conversationally with instructor and work the stirrups for flight control. Smooth as silk landing! Unable to upload extensive video, rather posting a temporarily active link. https://media.dzmanage.com/OS-2022-BFYEA5W-1 (tap "Video" button upper right. full gallery of pano and selfie cam images top left and center)

Contrary to euphoric "happy talk" at video end, unsure I'll ever do this again lol. Skydiving rather safe if conducted by ethical operator and experienced instructor. Imagery and video captured by instructor wrist mini-cams and videographer who made dedicated jump to follow with helmet-mounted Go Pro.

8371F41A-224F-4AE4-AC24-01F61EEA0C68.jpeg
4361F91D-F5D7-49D2-9A06-03C0DDF20E99.jpeg
BBDE33E3-ED7C-49FF-899C-0A90730A08F1.jpeg
01C61806-D32D-40CC-81F1-9F93413DE749.jpeg
BADC059F-9B93-4AC7-81BD-E5D37818F5DA.jpeg

Last edited:
Whoaaa, Scooooott!!! That must've been AWESOME!!! Congratulations on mustering the courage!

Oh c'mon Captain Scott, how could you not want to make a habit it out of throwing yourself from a perfectly functional aeroplane?! Congratulations on conquering another fear, that big beautiful smile on your face says it all!

You have much more courage than I do!
Those pictures of you are fantastic. You were having a blast!
This one is my favourite. The sheer thrill and happiness in your face is so wonderful.

1644961149330.png

That looks absolutely incredible, Scott! And nope, I'm not trying it- you're braver than me! :) I have a question though... How come the instructor wears a helmet, and didn't give you one? Just sayin'...

That looks absolutely incredible, Scott! And nope, I'm not trying it- you're braver than me! :) I have a question though... How come the instructor wears a helmet, and didn't give you one? Just sayin'...
COS HE'S BRAVE AND MAGICAL :cool:

Wait, what did you say??
You stepped out of a fully operational aircraft to then be suspended by little more than a super thin fabric with strings holding not only you, but another!

Way to go Scott!
Don't scare Scott too much!

He already did it though, but if he hadn't, I would tell you to DELETE THAT RIGHT NOW!
But I'm not sure he thought of it that way 🤣
Well, A+ for creativity, and scaring the heck out of everyone!

Oh c'mon Captain Scott, how could you not want to make a habit it out of throwing yourself from a perfectly functional aeroplane?! Congratulations on conquering another fear, that big beautiful smile on your face says it all!
You have much more courage than I do!
Those pictures of you are fantastic. You were having a blast!
This one is my favourite. The sheer thrill and happiness in your face is so wonderful.

View attachment 35866
Y'all are too kind! Slayed my final aviation phobia, now a few others to hunt down lol.

Thanks Jon! Great question, wondered the same! Apparently instructors at risk from student's head flung backwards into their faces. Helmet wearing not a mandatory part of the sport. Aside from incorrect jumps out of plane, not much purpose. Also, sometimes Go Pros mounted on helmets in addition to wrist cams. Purchased videos stitched together from various cams used in jumps.

I have done paragliding once in Cape Town for vacation this year(January). At first I refused to go but my parents convinced me to, so I gave in. I just have some anxiety over heights, though I must say it was a lot worse before!

It was a fantastic experience! I had to do it with a pro. When we were running downhill(yes, that's how the paragliding worked😰), I just felt my heartbeat going up, and when I was finally in the air, it felt sooo good! (I wonder how it feels for a bird to fly🤔) My eyes where watering because of the air being right in my face, LOL! Just before landing, the pilot(they call the pros pilots) did what he calls "acrobatics"( Like in this video. And yes this is the exact place I did it), and wow, I could feel my heart sink and a boost of adrenalin. But It was so fun! I was so disappointed when it was over :(

The experience was 20/10!! It felt energizing and scary at the same time. Definitely something I'll do again!

I have done paragliding once in Cape Town for vacation this year(January). At first I refused to go but my parents convinced me to, so I gave in. I just have some anxiety over heights, though I must say it was a lot worse before!

It was a fantastic experience! I had to do it with a pro. When we were running downhill(yes, that's how the paragliding worked😰), I just felt my heartbeat going up, and when I was finally in the air, it felt sooo good! (I wonder how it feels for a bird to fly🤔) My eyes where watering because of the air being right in my face, LOL! Just before landing, the pilot(they call the pros pilots) did what he calls "acrobatics"( Like in this video. And yes this is the exact place I did it), and wow, I could feel my heart sink and a boost of adrenalin. But It was so fun! I was so disappointed when it was over :(

The experience was 20/10!! It felt energizing and scary at the same time. Definitely something I'll do again!
Paragliding is on my bucket list of things to do before I'm 18!

Hmm, you've inspired me to consider paragliding and maybe ziplining!

Most Reactions

Back