What to do????

bosnianblood69

Aug 5, 2015
Hi, I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me. So I had a blue and gold macaw which I sold 2 years ago. I got him back 2 weeks ago. He would step up and come to you. Now he won't. He was sort of neglected in the home he went to. He now will lung when on top of his cage and puff up when you put your hand in the cage and then start to lung. This only happens when he is in or on his cage. When he's on his perch he steps up and he's not so aggressive. Was thinking of getting rid of the cage all together. Making a big perch/play gym out of wood right now. Any advice? He's fully feathered. Doesn't scream so much because of his forging toys and when hes not forging he's actually playing with other toys. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'm also waiting for my clicker to come in. So haven't been able to start training with a clicker. Well clicker training towards the aggression. Thank you in advance. :blue1::confused:

Sounds like he's territorial inside his cage.

I'm not too keen on giving out advice since I haven't had this first hand but I'm sure you'll be getting a lot of great responses.

I'd recommend keeping the cage, or a smaller one for sleeping. If he only has a playstand, would you be home all day to monitor him and keep him from destroying things? There's also that feeling of security birds (who are prey) need.

Here we go again...

1. Birds that don't get handled do not stay tame.

2. Birds that get locked up in cages become cage bound and territorial.

3. Birds that have their trust abused, need to be taught to trust all over again.

Start over from square one. Basic step up and touch training.

Work with him away from the cage.

Outside the cage time should be increased to the extent possible...

Teach this bird to love again, then play games with him and bring out the goofy in him...

It's buried in there under his defenses. You just have to get through them.

Here we go again...

3. Birds that have their trust abused, need to be taught to trust all over again.

Teach this bird to love again, then play games with him and bring out the goofy in him...

When you say to the extent possible - Do you mean as long as the bird is focused? Or as long as time allows the owner?

Here we go again...

When you say to the extent possible - Do you mean as long as the bird is focused? Or as long as time allows the owner?

I think he's saying the bird should be outside the cage as much as possible.

Our grey can't be handled but is out every second we're at home.

Here we go again...

As much as you can.

The cure for a cagebound parrot is to take him out of his cage.

The cure for a cage territorial parrot, is to take him into another room away from the territory he feels compelled to defend... once there is nothing to defend, he stops attacking. (Okay. That's not mine... we're fine now.)

Not to hijack a thread but... Any tips on actually getting the bird away from the cage? I'm working with two extremely territorial eckies, and the male I believe actually doesn't know how to step up. Tame, but crippled.

Most Reactions

Back