What to do?

Dpryan458

Feb 22, 2013
Parrots
African Senegal
I have a 3 yr old male African Senegal named Mango! He is the love of my life and goes to and from work with me 90 percent of the time if weather and other things permit him to go. He is rarely locked up in his cage. During the day he is on someone or on his cage grooming napping and playing. He has no problem entering his cage in the afternoon to hang out and never throws a fit when I do have to cage him. My problem is that he does get off his cage and its becoming more of a problem because he's soo quite when doing it and I'm afraid he will get stepped on. He will do it even if your in the room with him. I want to know how to reverse this behavior. I also wonder if its through boredom even though he is very socialized he doesn't play with his toys has much as I think most birds do. He's got a variety of toys not to many at a time but a wide variety. It does take him a few days or weeks to even begin to play with a new one. When this happens he's all over it for a few hours a day till its destroyed and then the same process but he would definitely rather be with/on me or my mom if possible and destroying things that are not his toys like mail small decor objects just about anything I know he's really not allowed to play with or that I don't want him to play with. When he does this he gets rather aggressive/territorial when I provoke this behavior It's like he's too good for his toys or doesn't know how to use them. I believe his toy behaviors have to do with getting off the cage as well. How can I stop this or better stimulate his little bird brain. Please help in any way!!

It sounds like he just wants to be with you. All three of my parrots do that. They will be fine for a while on top of the cage playing Then I will be in the kitchen or the living room and out waddles either my quaker or my red bellied, or in flies my gcc or she flies to the floor and waddles in. My advice is try to remember to check before you step. You are right they are very quiet about it. Usually my quaker tries to chew on or bite my sneaker or climb my pant leg which is how I know he's there. Good luck:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back