What food do you use as a training treat?

mcmalott

Sep 11, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
Parrots
Vos Eclectus - male - Simon
YN Amazon - female - Lamont
I am getting ready to start clicker training Simon (Vos Ekkie) he is 19 weeks - what foods do you guys use as the reward?

I don't have my guy yet, but I'm hoping he takes to chopped almonds because they're high in calcium and one of the healthier nuts. I'd say just avoid the junkie seeds and nuts like sunflower seeds and peanuts unless there's absolutely no other treat he responds to. Or you could try organic granola! I've heard it called birdie crack. My breeder sells it and it's a huge hit with eckies.

My Fiji goes crazy for pine nuts. I've started clicker training too, good luck!

Mine love Cashews. I break off little pieces for reward.

I use different nuts, sunflower seed, dried fruit, dried vegetable, paster, rice bubbles, coloured pellets, grains and Cheerios :D

You can also buy parrot treats, or bird food like tropimix. It's just grains, fruit, nuts, vegetables, and a bit of tropican pellet.

Mishka used to love popcorn as a treat when training
As time went by, he refuses to have a treat, even when offered.
Now I just praise him, give him many many kisses and rub his beak.

I use black oil sunflower seed occasionally. As long as it isn't a staple part of their diet, and you're only using it for a 5-15 min training session it should be fine.

I also have success with banana chips, cashews, birdie cookies, or even the nutriberries. I would hold the nutriberry out and she would nibble a piece off.

Find what they like, and try to avoid giving it to them (ie: banana chips, dried papaya, millet, etc) as part of the meal. That way, they won't pig out on it before training, making them a little more motivated.

Most Reactions

Back