What do you think this is ?

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
It’s on tiger my lesser sulfer cockatoo.
She’s molting but it still looks alarming
72262613646__76CDC0F5-98FC-41A1-9FDB-8FC4B8618C9A.jpeg

It’s on tiger my lesser sulfer cockatoo.
She’s molting but it still looks alarmingView attachment 56304
Mold on her feathers, maybe? Does she bathe or get misted often? If so, maybe she doesn't dry completely under her feathers and harmless mold can grow. I wish I had my microscope handy (in storage somewhere). I would have you send me a feather and look at it for mold. Maybe your vet can look at the feather under a low powered scope.

I perspire a lot at night from my waist to the top of my head so my pillowcases get very damp and will start growing mold spots if I don't wash them every couple days.

Maybe damage done during blood feather stage?

When one of those dirty feathers falls out I would try washing it with a little soap and water and see if it's on the surface or inside like @saxguy64 suggests.
Since most cockatoos are white their feathers show every bit of dirt, mold (if that's possible) and any imperfections perhaps from when developing as bloodfeathers. I'm thinking that colored or dark feathers probably have imperfections too that we can't easily see.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back