What do you think of this cage for my first eclectus?

Hi Mitz,

There are a couple of things you may not have considered, and you probably need to give them some thought.

In a hotel setting, where a bird cage is accessible to anyone who comes in, you will have cruel people who will try to feed a bird things they should not have or try to poke things at the bird...adults will do this as well as children. You say that someone will have to look around a corner to see the bird, then the desk clerk will not be able to make sure that nobody is sticking things in the cage that should not be there.

Also, any of the cages that you have posted are easily opened by a person determined to steal any expensive bird. When the lobby is busy, it is a good time to steal a bird or feed something it should not have or poke at it, because hotel staff are distracted.

I know your idea is to be proud of your bird and to display it, but you might want to re-think placing the cage where people can get to the bird or its cage.....if the cage could be placed behind the counter. If there is an office or store room behind the counter, what is the possibility of installing a large window in the wall, so that people can see the bird, but not get near it.

The other things you need to consider is pest control spraying and carpet cleaning. If the pest control spray is not bird safe, it can kill your bird.....some cities/states require the use of certain pest control products.....are they safe where you live? The same is true of carpet cleaning solutions...some will kill birds.

If your hotel has a contract with carpet cleaning companies or pest service companies, the contract needs to specify that only bird safe products are to be used.

No matter what the advertising says about that plexiglass cage, I would be worried about it getting too hot inside. From the picture, it appears to be open on the top and bottom. Unless there are ceiling fans near the cage, that can create air movement throughout the cage, where a thermometer in the cage would show no more than 65-68 degrees F (keep in mind that a 65 degree temperature without a bird in the cage will not be the same with a bird in the cage...it will be hotter. I would be afraid the bird would get too hot.

Good luck with your new friend.

Last edited:
i cant see that link, but our internet is capped so its probably a problem on this end...

If that is one of those glassy/plastic cages, i never really liked/considered them. Yes they look nicer but there is much fewer places to hang things off of or place perches, as well as less places for the parrot to climb up the side of the cage from place to place. As well as what has been said about circulation, I also imagine that they could get easily scratched and then they wouldn't really look as nice after a bit of wear and tear. And if that happened or even when it is dirty i would worry about the eyesight of the bird. Consider if you had to look through dirty or scratched glasses all day, you would get a headache and it would probably change the way you focus your eyes as well.

But after saying all that i haven't actually been able to look at the particular one you posted, i'm just generalising.

edit: after looking at it. i wouldnt use it as a permanent cage at all. Perhaps as a playstand if i was in a situation like yours where i might want it on display for short periods of the day but still separated from easy access from the public. It looks more like an encased play stand than a fully functional cage to me.

Last edited:
The links are kinda broken on this system. You're probably better off using
Code:
tags; not tags. Otherwise, the link will most likely get messed up.

The link is:
Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-x29-x68-acrylic-Parrot-Bird-birds-perch-cage-Cages-play-stand-PG3623
or short version:
Code:
http://r.ebay.com/qnkCL3

As for my opinion, I don't like that cage because he cant climb it.

parrots need a lot of room to exercise and they need a lot of toys to keep them company. this cage is very limited in that department. you can't properly add more perches and toys for them to enjoy and exercise with, and they sure as hell won't be able to climb up and down the glass. D;

it does look a bit fancy though, but not very practical.

I personally don't like that cage, the reason for that is because your parrot can't climb up and down in there. And it doesn't look like that you can put other perches and toys, or at lease it's really hard.

I don't recommend that kind of cage, yes, it might look fancy and nice, but for the best for your parrot, I say no to that kind of cage.

btw if you really want a cage with glass like that, look for one that has bars on the sides
instead of just glass all around.

btw if you really want a cage with glass like that, look for one that has bars on the sides
instead of just glass all around.

Fish in a glass cage might be better in a hotel situation... A reef tank would be awesome...

I agree that that really looks more like an encased playstand, although limited, because even playstands have more climbing and toy-hanging potential. Another thing to keep in mind is that while that one looks nice, and has some storage space (from the looks of it), it's still fairly pricey for what you're getting. You could get a much larger, more parrot-appropriate cage for about the same price or cheaper as long as you hunt around.

But again, I think you should definitely consider the points Weco has brought up before commiting to a bird like this.

Thanks all! I have taken all into consideration. Well first I do live on sight and actually was thinking to put a padlock on bird cage doors which would help. I'm also thinking what if during the night I keep it there in the lobby or wheel it in my fitness room. Do birds mind being moved every night? Thanks all! Your inputs all help. Please don't think I am not taking your viewpoints into consideration but at the same time I'm thinking of every way before I give up in getting a bird. I really do not want to keep moving my bird to a room. Therefor, are eclectus birds light sleepers? Thanks

The bird will not like being in a public lobby. Its loud and scarey and your bird will suffer from anxiety. What you are proposing sounds like you want a bird for a novelty to shocase in your hotel. That is no life for him.

Well not really its will not only be doing that but being my pet. People invasion my hotel being like one of those huge hotels with so many people. I'm in a small town and the only people in my lobby is people going in n out through my door. We don't have a loud lobby but yes you are right I am scared if I have people tap on the cage and scare it

All birds are light sleepers because they are prey. They will wake up even if you walk past their cage. I place my birds in their cages, in a closet space, cover the cages, and close the curtains, and shut the door, and don't walk in again until its time to wake them up. They need their uninterrupted sleep. Not getting enough sleep can lead to screaming issues and potential feather plucking, etc. On the other hand, slight interruptions are no big deal, they can adapt to general sounds in the environment without much issue, and also tend to make up their sleep with naps during the day. You could move your bird to his night time place if you like, and the bird will get used to the two spaces.

Since I do not want a to buy two cages is it ok to put the bird in its travel cage only for sleeping ( which can be put in my office so no disruptions can occur at all)?

I don't think you should put the bird in the lobby at all. He is not a spectacle for people to gawk at.

If you want to bring him to work for some strange reason, he should be in the back office the whole time, where he won't be aggravated by strangers. He will be uneasy around people he doesn't know. Do you really want to put him through that for several hours each day? I'd imagine he will get stressed or depressed and start plucking.

Secondly, you cannot keep him in a cage all day. He must be let out and you must spend hours of personal time with him. If you can't do that, you should not have a bird. Bringing him to work with you and being in close proximity to his cage is not a substitute for spending time with him.

I know you might not want to hear this, but if you work very long hours, it is unfair to the bird to keep him in the cage all day. If this is the case, you should not get a bird. Try a cat or another type of animal that is content with less social interaction.

Since I do not want a to buy two cages is it ok to put the bird in its travel cage only for sleeping ( which can be put in my office so no disruptions can occur at all)?

Because im scared of him falling off of his higher perches i move pickle into a smaller covered cage in a quieter room to sleep - It is not a travel cage, but instead of being ekkie sized, it is more of a cockatiel sized cage. He seems okay with this. So yes this is an option.

Except that all birds feel more comfortable the higher up they are. If i left pickle in his normal cage i know he would sleep on the highest perch (thats why i move him). Depending on your bird, putting it in a small cage can cause anxiety or loss of sleep simply because it does not feel secure if it cant get high enough. You also don't want it to be climbing up the side of the smaller cage in an attempt to get higher and trying to sleep while grabbing onto the bars. This would be bad for their feet in the long term. You would have to make sure that your bird was comfortable with the smaller cage and also keep an eye on his behaviour in it (simply moving him and leaving, assuming he will be okay is not the way to go for the first few weeks or more). You may end up buying a smaller cage and then not be able to use it if your bird does not like it...

Another thing to keep in mind is bar gauge. Usually smaller cages have smaller bar gauges, and it will obviously still have to stand up to the use of an ekkie, and you don't want him wedging his beak anywhere either. :)

If its in a lobby you might want to consider a different species. I hear eclectus are not so fond of busy households and strange people... I imagine a hotel lobby would be torture for an eclectus. I had handreared a female and she was a very flighty bird, she lacked the confidence of the other aussie species I handreared.

In Australia pet shops and general businesses, sometimes veterinary surgeries, will have a cockatoo species as the workplace pet... who interacts and talks to people that come in. Its a great novelty and I believe in a way the cockatoos enjoy it... but its not a great life for them. Most develop biting problems, occasionally screaming problems. And an eclectus is a completely different kettle of fish there... they are a million times more reserved and anxious.

I feel you should consider an aquarium, maybe even a reptile for the lobby... reptiles need no interaction at all and bearded dragons for example are happy to put themselves on display and become quite accustomed to people coming and going.
An intelligent animal that needs constant close companionship from its known flock is not the type of creature you leave in a lobby. If you are really truly intent on birds, maybe get a couple of a smaller outgoing species, like a couple of GCC or lorikeets who might enjoy attention from strange people.

I can understand your longing for a bird, but I do agree that a hotel lobby isn't the right place for an eclectus. Can you keep the bird in your office and then move it to a smaller sleeping cage in your room at night? You want to have the main cage where you spend most of your time, but you don't want to put him under stress and anxiety.

Ok thanks guys! I have to make a lot of decisions at the moment. All points are taken. @beakersbro: I live on site so I would have alot of time with him outside of cage. parrots are a spectacle to "gawk at" as well as being great companions. At the same time I understand they can get stressed out and start plucking etc. this is why I am on this forum to get people opionions and advice and ultimately for me take the final decision. Even though his cage can possibly be in the front lobby I was going to have the Ida of having the play gyms in my office and room so he would be around somebody at all times and I could also have the chance to play with him. Since I live at my hotel I don't constantly work all my wrk hours so would have couple of hours here and ther throughout the day to play with it and train it. Plus supplying it with plenty of foraging toys and other toys to keep it busy.

Yes I am taking into consideration of people possibly tapping on the cage which the bird won't like. To stop the problem of guests giving it food 1) there's always me or my family members doing the desk, 2) I am thinking o put perplex glass around my cage with whole in it and shorter than the cage length so it has a lot of air circulating. Also the top of the. Age would also be kept open.

Again, these one of things I am thinking of to protect it but God knows it might be not the right time or me o buy the parrot yet. Several reputable breeders and longtime eclectus owners have given me the OK for it to be in my Lobby but I gave to now decide. Thanks again everyone for your advice

Most Reactions

Back