What Can You Tell Me About Capes?

missylynn

Feb 23, 2011
Parrots
2 GCCs - Jinx & Bonsai
Is there anything anyone can tell me about Capes? They are not as common of a pet bird, and hence, it is hard for me to find info on them. I've read that they are very clownish and active like a conure or a caique, that they are talkative and not very screechy, and that they typically have very sweet dispositions. But do they have any downsides? Do they tend to be one-person birds like greys? What are they like when they're hormonal? Do they get nippy? What are the personality differences between males and females? Do they like to be handled and/or cuddled? Do they have the powder that greys and 'toos have? Sorry I'm asking a lot of questions, but there is so little information available, I think it is just best to ask the owners!

sorry i did see this post a few days ago, but i cannot say anything as i have never even heard of a cape?? just posting so it brings this post up into main :)

Lol, thanks. Capes are not very common... they are endangered in the wild. They are about the size of an African Grey, highly intelligent, cuddly, and playful with a good speaking ability. Information is limited online, so I was just looking for personality quirks and differences between males and females of the species. I'm guessing there aren't too many, if any, owners on this forum. The other forum I use has only a handful of cape owners. Hopefully I'll be joining those ranks soon though!

aww well good luck with that :) an please up dates an pics if you do!!!

i hate hearing the word endangered

I have a Cape and he is amazing such a good personality.

He does not say many words. He only says his own name and SOMETIMES he will say "i pooped" when he poops.

I am trying to teach him other words like "i love you" and sometimes I think I hear him say it, but not clearly.

He makes other noises and hoots and gibberish when he's excited or playful.

He needs LOTS of attention every day. You should not get a Cape if you travel a lot.

He loves getting scratched and held, especially he likes laying on his back and getting his head & neck scratched.

Some mornings he wakes up when the sun comes up and can make quite a lot of loud "morning vocalization". However, most mornings he does not make a peep until I get up (and I sleep in late). He will screech for about 10 minutes when I leave for work every day, but then he quiets down. Overall, I would say he is a very quiet bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back