May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
We are honored to take in a thirty year old female Red Lored Amazon named Aba- Baba.
Aba's parront of nine years just did not feel she was getting the attention she deserves.
after little debate we picked her up this past Sunday.

She has an open band on her leg and her original owner contacted me saying that she was imported from Brasil as a fledgling,
to the pet shop where she worked as an eleven year old child.
She was then given Aba-baba as a Christmas gift and had her for more than twenty years!

Aba's plumage is a bit rough in places and sparse in other places and her skin is very dry.

We hope that a good diet, sunshine, showers and love will help to rejuvenate her.

do you think the feathers around her face and neck will grow back?

Primor our eight year old Red Lored Amazon is aggressive towards her,
so we are keeping them at a distance from each other and we will take it slow.
Primor is going to have to learn to treat her like the lady of the house.

Abba is a "genteel grand dame" it only took a few hours to get her to step up for us and a day to scritch her head.
We had to work with Primor and with Max for months to hand tame them
and make sure that they did not favor one of us over the other (secretly though Max loves me more).

The third photo is shows how Primor sleeps on a perch outside of his partially covered cage.

Attachments

• Abba.jpg
    Abba.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Looks like she may be vitamin deficient. Diet and bathing should clear that up.

Amazons can be very territorial around other amazons. And they've been known to displacement bite out of jealousy.

Space is probably your best bet. No telling if this will improve with time, once your existing red lored figures out that she is not being "displaced" or losing her place in the flock.

I'd say that's within normal limits for amazon behavior.

Most Reactions

Back