Waiting for my Grey to come home

ms1sign1

Jul 8, 2012
Hi all,
I finally found a grey! I searched and visited so many stores and breeders. I finally found a place "Parrot Paradise" in Burlington NJ. I visited a few times and finally found a Congo Grey with a beautiful personality. I have visited a few times and we will be taking him home in November. Here are some questions I thought you all might be able to help with:
Some people suggest a sleeping cage for "Chulo" ...do any of you suggest or use a sleeping cage?
I have been reading a lot about greys and most of the research shows that greys need about 10-12 hours of sleep a day - covered and in a quiet place. True? Does anyone have a schedule they use?
One of the books I read and it was also a suggestion from the store is not to have a play gym on top of the cage - mine does ...should I remove it.

30 years ago I had a greay and I wasn't knowledgable enough. I didn't do my homework before bringing her home and now that I have done a lot of research I realize that I wasn't a good bird parent . Well, we had to re-home her and she went with a great family so it all worked out. Now I don't want to make the same mistake. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated.

Thank you
Maryellen

I'm curious as to why the store said not to have a play top. If it is a height thing then I have to say that it is most experts opinion now that this is not true. My grey loves her play top! I leave her door open when I'm home and she goes in and out! I feed her breakfast on the top as well as dinner. I have a large java tree and often she will fly down and walk over and on the top of her cage. I'm curious to hear what their reason is.

Hi,

They gave me a book to read and the book said that the bird should not be above eye level because it will difficult to train. I guess it is a power struggle game. Maybe the book is old. I would love to leave the cage open and allow him to be out during the day when I can't take him to work. I am visiting with him weekly and while there I walk around with him and try to find toys /treats that he likes. I can imagine it will be a tough transition going from the store to my home.

Maryellen
I just found the paragraph in the book it says:

"Birds should not be allowed to play on top of their cages, since this can lead to behavioral problems. A separate playpen, Parrot Tower, or other similiar play gym should be available for birds to use for exercise and out of cage time playtime. A bird without a separate gym becomes overly protective of the cage"

Last edited:
I've heard that "myth," too, about not letting your grey go above eye-level. I think if you teach the most important lesson -- "step-up," you shouldn't have too many problems with Chulo being above eye-level.

On the other hand, there are times that I do get the step ladder, when Bindi and Babu are being "ornery" and don't want to go back into their cage. I don't have a playpen on the top of the cage, but they do like to sit on the top. they also have a playpen where they are above eye-level and do quite well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back