Riley304

May 26, 2016
Hey folks,

First time poster here. Would just like to say hello and thanks for coming to my aid. Before you say what I know is coming, let me reassure the community that I understand birds (especially conures) can be very vocal. My concern is not with the noises - it's with the screaming.

I purchased a GCC off kijiji about a year ago, and she was in pretty abysmal conditions. Cage was covered in poop, (inc water, bath) he feathers were frayed (looks like over preening) and the previous owner smoked inside. She's a very sweet bird, loving and cuddly if she knows you. Defensive if not. I'm not sure of her age, and if a picture would help identifying the problem let me know.

In terms of her care, she is given fresh food and water everyday, along with some healthy treats like fruit and veggies. We take her out as often as two students can, but with were also trying to potty train as she was defacating everywhere (bird problems, I know). She had a Cockatiel roommate who she seems very close with. They're always cuddling and preening, however she has never seemed very interested in toys despite how often we shift their cages. The rare time we'll see her playing with a bell or other toy before noticing is looking and immediately a reaching for attention. She'll crouch down low, and start quivering her wings (excitedly) and begin screaming. Sometimes she'll even do it when sitting outside of her cage! We've tried ignoring this. We've tried ignoring her. We've tried acknowledging this, and we've tried separating her from her roommate. Most of these solve the problem for a day at most, which is hardly SOLVING anything.

She really does just seem to want attention, but its getting too overwhelming. She's already switched homes once, so I'd like to do everything in my power to keep her, but with both me and my partner dealing with mental illness, constant screaming is starting to ware on us. Any other information, just ask.

TL;DR My conure screams for attention CONSTANTLY and we need solutions, ways to occupy her, ways to train her better, we don't really know.

Thanks

Hello and welcome! I also adopted a one-year old GCC about six years ago who was in a similar condition as yours. It took awhile to get her interested in toys - please don't give up, it can take months. Mine liked shredding toys in particular with paper and shreddable items, even ones meant for larger birds. Don't change them out too often - give them time to get used to them and interested in them. Foraging toys are another option - start with more simple ones (placing food/treats in kale or paper so that they're visible, then covering them once they get used to them as being food sites, make them more complex as you go). Feeding them little bits of special food throughout the time that you are home with them can help divert their attention for a bit (such as a few small pieces of fruit every 15 minutes etc). Consistent bed time can help them being calmer as it establishes routine and makes them less cranky. Get them covered and in a quiet room or a quiet place in the house at the same time every night. Our conure had a sleep cage for this but we just wheel our pionus into another room and cover her. It at least gives you a break for part of the evening and its helpful for your bird to get a good night's sleep as conures are usually eager to see what's going on even after they've gone to bed.

Ours would also scream - which is a normal bird noise for a conure - and often yelled while playing but also for attention. She always wanted to be part of what we were up to. We did get some of the yelling calmed a bit when we would wolf whistle as way to contact call when we were out of the room and Charlie would wolf whistle back to us. We would only respond to the contact call if it was a wolf whistle rather than the frantic yelling. It helped a bit although the yelling would still occur. This takes time and consistency to make work. Any sort of call helps to let them know that you haven't left them and helps them build trust through communication. You could try getting a play gym for the conure which might help them be out more and around you while not having to be on you. You can also try training them to do tricks which gives you both positive interactions together - they are smart and enjoy it.

I understand how annoying their yelling can be but time and patience can help as behaviour shifts usually require weeks/months/years rather than days. They are busy little guys that will do their best to be right in the middle of the action all the time. I hope that you are able to make some progress with your little guy! They are amazing birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back