Vet visit

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Sooooo, I took Rio in for her first visit with the vet. Everything was fine, she melted hearts today.

When they weighed her she was only 110 grams. I thought that as a bit underweight, but I have checked the muscle on each side of her keel (sp?) and so did the vet and we both agreed that she was in good condition and not underweight but petite. Anyone else experience this? Should she be eating me fat? Suggestions?

P.S. Th vet is an avian vet. Just wanted to say that.

Last edited:
Sooooo, I took Rio in for her first visit with the vet. Everything was fine, she melted hearts today.

When they weighed her she was only 110 grams. I thought that as a bit underweight, but I have checked the muscle on each side of her keel (sp?) and so did the vet and we both agreed that she was in good condition and not underweight but petite. Anyone else experience this? Should she be eating me fat? Suggestions?

P.S. Th vet is an avian vet. Just wanted to say that.

Rio is still young so it's fine for her to be a little on the "small side", as long as she 'feels fine' for her size and is eating and pooping fine, don't worry! :)

Glad to hear the visit went well - and that you have an AVIAN vet ;)

love both wet birdie pics :) an lol nuts due for a vet visit to have her claws/talons trimmed soon, like mayden said your birds only young still and prob have a little more growing to do :)

keep us posted

love both wet birdie pics :) an lol nuts due for a vet visit to have her claws/talons trimmed soon, like mayden said your birds only young still and prob have a little more growing to do :)

keep us posted

Charlie's going for a well check in the next two weeks... Merlin will be joining him as my hands are being shredded with his claws! :(

Both of them make me feel I'm holding a falcon or something, ouch!

Ok good.... She eats and poops just fine. He didn't seem concerned at all about it. And your right she is still very young.

Maiden, can't you just towel Charlie and snip just the very ends of his nails. Rio's got really long and sharp. I had little scabs on my hands, arms, and shoulder from those nails. She sharpens them everyday. So my husband troweled and held her while I snipped just the end off. Made a huge difference. But she still sharpens them everyday. :D

Oh and I ordered a scale from Walmart last night so I can weigh both my birds, from now on.

Charlie's going for a well check in the next two weeks... Merlin will be joining him as my hands are being shredded with his claws! :(

Both of them make me feel I'm holding a falcon or something, ouch!

Sidney's claws were doing that to me. Little holes with a flap of skin hanging on. I was taking him to be groomed often but I got him one of those sanded perches. He does not spend a lot of time on it because it is at the bottom of the cage (I don't want him on it too much) but he will go down there and swing upside down from it a couple times a day. To my utmost relief it knocks the sharp points off when he does that and I have not had to have him groomed since.

Sid is going to be going in for his yearly check soon. But since I'm now living in a somewhat remotish area it is several hours for me to get to the nearest avian vet. I found a vet locally who is acceptable but nowhere near as good as my previous vet in Florida. I had one of my blue crowns there for a checkup a couple of weeks ago and was surprised that the new vet knew of and highly respected my previous one. Makes me miss the care my birds could get there even more and is one of the very few regrets I have in leaving Florida. But if the new one is reading Dr. Clubb's publications then that is a plus in my book.

Most Reactions

Back