Very flakey, peeling beak.

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
πŸ’™ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.πŸ’™
πŸ’šRed~IRN~4 mos.πŸ’š

πŸ’›Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.πŸ’›
When I went to pick up June Bug, the first thing I noticed was her very unhealthy beak. She has an appt tomorrow. (tomorrow is thursday right?)
I'll ask the vet but in the meantime, does it look like a dietary issue? Or what??

Also, in the same side of the badly peeling, flaky beak, in her nostril is something...I don't know what, but when she breathes you can see it go in and out. Not all the way out but you see it go up and down in her nostril with each inhale and exhale. I'll mention this also to the vet. But what could it be? Anything is appreciated. I hate worrying about her. :(

2012-08-15181510.jpg

it could be malnutrition from the previous owner. when humans are malnourished they get very dry skin and hair, maybe her beak is dry? how old is she, if she is old, it could affect her beak. i hope this helped and i hope he feels better :)

I don't know about Senegals, but Capes are said to need more dietary fat than many species. With them, it is often recommended to add some fat if the beak is flaky. You could try offering her a nut or two if she's mostly on pellets. I've also heard of rubbing a little vegetable or not oil on the beak.

Re: Very flaky, peeling beak.

When I went to pick up June Bug, the first thing I noticed was her very unhealthy beak. She has an appt tomorrow. (tomorrow is thursday right?)
I'll ask the vet but in the meantime, does it look like a dietary issue? Or what??

Also, in the same side of the badly peeling, flaky beak, in her nostril is something...I don't know what, but when she breathes you can see it go in and out. Not all the way out but you see it go up and down in her nostril with each inhale and exhale. I'll mention this also to the vet. But what could it be? Anything is appreciated. I hate worrying about her. :(

Billy our Senegal as a flaky beak, it comes and goes, please lets us know the vets opinion off the problem.

Sens don't need a higher fat content than other birds, it's an easy way for them to get over weight. I do have to agree with the nutrition angle though, let us know!

Sorry for the late response. I've been passing teu another kidney stone!

The vet checked her out as its her first vet visit....ever! Poor baby. Her weight is great at 162g. He didn't recommend more fat as she's in the high end of her recommended weight. He concluded this to her previous living conditions in a tiny cage.

Her beak is malnutrition. He said to waist a few months to see if grows out. If it doesn't we go back for a filing. But he suggested fruits and veggies, as I've been doing since I got her. But the problem is, she's never had them and she throws them out of the dish and don't eat them. He said to keep offering them. He also suggested the vegetable oil as deb did previously. Other than that she's great.

I need some fast fruit and veggie transitioning ideas. I'd hate to have to have her beak filed. Especially because it's on the whole right side.

He also thanked me for rescuing her. Since that's essentially what I did. :)

Billy is the same, no fruit or veg allowed in his cage, so i made him some bread and added the fruit and veg to that, he cant get enough. billys beak just looks crazed, its not flaking or cracked, he 9 and maybe it just looks like it does, ive never seen another Senegal to compare him with.

Im sorry to hear of ur parrots dry beak.My Eckky Seaweed had a flaky beak in the past.I had applied Almond Oil on his beak & wha la his beak was nice conditioned & shiny.When ever I see his beak lacking luster I just go & apply more oil & it fixes the problem right away :) I have applied Almond oil but Grapeseed,Olive & Coconut oil are just as good.I prefer Almond Oil because its thicker & lasts longer than Grapeseed oil.I hope this helps :) Prayers 4 a speedy recovery for ur feathered baby xo

Thank you for rescuing her!

I would moisturize the beak with oil also. It doesn't look too long or anything, which is good.

As for food, try eating stuff in front of her. Puck ALWAYS wanted some of what I was eating, although he was usually content to have his own plate. If he didn't want to eat something, I'd start eating it, and then he'd want to try it.

I need some fast fruit and veggie transitioning ideas.

Try these for transitioning, loaded with the good stuff. Very popular with my conure, it never fails:

1. Corn on the cob (offer 1 inch sections, could be fattening)

2. Bell pepper / banana pepper / jalapeno pepper (cut in half, offer the seeds too)

3. Apple slices (keep the skin)

Yes, I get them while still in their husks. As long as its ready for consumption, they should be fine. Just wash it thoroughly after peeling and 'de-hairing' before offering to your bird. :)

Also try different cuts... Fine, large, mixed.. put some on a skewer and hang in the cage...

We do tend to give up, when our birds won't eat it... I did that with my cockatoos in my aviary... They always ignored the fresh stuff... I have now been persistent for many months (whether it's eaten or not, it's gone), and now they go for the fresh fruit and vegies before their seeds...

Not feeling well at the moment, I was going to leave out the fresh stuff today, but they kept looking at their empty dish (their fresh food one), and dug straight in, when I filled it up...

I have 4 bird cages in the house:

1. 3 budgies and a cockatiel
  2. Alexandrine
  3. Eclectus
  4. Green Cheek conures - breeding pair
I can see all the cages from my TV chair, and the best show is just after I feed the birds their fresh foods... They all dig in, like there's no tomorrow... I so love watching them eat! :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back