Urigard's Senegal has attached itself to me.

Grithnir

Jan 4, 2010
Northwest USA.
Parrots
Senegal.
Hello, :41:

I breifly introduced the fact that for some reason, as this happens with a lot of animals, I am like Elmira from the loony toons and animals seem to hang around me, though I have never owned a bird. Amos the Senegal has been relocated to my room because partly he plucked out a few feathers and Urigard was being a little too manic with the bird, playing loud music and not sleeping routinely, regiment was suggested for the bird in the book on Senegals Urigard bought.

He has turned around from flying away from Urigard but still work needs to be done on him, especially since he has been bonding with me and now prefers to be pet on the head without any nips. A friend came over and I introduced the bird to her on my hand and he bit her and then bit me, so I put him back on his cage as said no and tapped his beak. I am not sure if this is how you get a bird to stop nipping, but usually he is pretty open to jumping on hands and meeting new people. I know now just to introduce a new person when he is content on his cage.

I read that it is important that he have different handlers and exposure, so I am trying to counsel Urigard to stop being depressed that the bird has been flying away from him and work on improving their relationship. Is this a good idea, as he did spend a lot of money on him. Or could we buy a different bird that is maybe younger and open to more room noises for Urigard. Any suggestions would be appreciated because Urigard is very depressed about the bird.

Thanks,

James:green:

If you got another bird what would happen to Amos?

Birds are individuals, and a new bird may take faster to Urigard, however if there really are schedule/life-style issues that would drive a bird away either he needs to adjust those factors or give up on having a bird like him. Sorry if that is abrupt, but we cannot create an inhospitable environment for an animal and just expect them to deal with it. Note though that all this was based on an 'IF', IF Amos's preference is influenced primarily by the noise and schedule and the like then this all applies, however there is much to be said for the fact that some birds just choose their people, we don't always have much say in it.

If/when you get bit putting him in the cage for a brief time-out is the way to go, but in these cases positive punishment (scolding or tapping-on-the-beak) are counterproductive and should be avoided.

You are right on the point that when being introduced to new people he should be on firm familiar footing such as his cage. When introduced to someone new he should have the opportunity to NOT interact with them if he doesn't like them (for any random birdy reason).

Thanks AD, I will try for a time out if he bites. Fortunetely he has never bitten anyone hard, just little pecks. I am not too worried about the squawking as he barely does that and when he does I wait until he is quiet to see what is up, but more often than not it's that he fell on the floor and is confused. I am trying to take him for walks around the house but he does get nervous after a time and wants to go back to his cage.

I think sometime in the future I might want another bird, but possible a lovebird, and Urigard can just enjoy them when he can, as he loves animals but because of his condition he is sleepy and off routine. He has a bi-polar diagnosis and is on quite a few medications. I have no problem taking care of the bird, but I wanted the bird to come around and enjoy Urigard's company but it may take some time to get him to be that social as he has been in a pet store for over a year with little attention. He seems pretty happy now, despite flying on the floor to find me when I am in the other room.

Without sounding a little to fruity ... what animals often don't like in us are often things that are not good for us. Learning how to earn an animals trust is a great way of improving ourselves. In fact there is an entire field of animal-assisted-therapy based on this idea. Animal companionship is great, but they don't completely conform to us, we must conform to them, learn from them, and earn their trust. The good thing is they rarely (if ever) hold grudges. They are very simple, we may do wrong and they will tell us, but as soon as we start doing right they will tell us as well.

OK, I know that what I am going to say is not going to go too well so, please, understand that I am thinking of the birds happiness and wellbeing. Bi-polar people do not make good parrot keepers. Parrots need a good and steady daily schedule, routines, patience and, most of all, a handler with an even temper. Unfortunately, none of these are qualities fit bi-polar people. I know because my sister in law is bi-polar and, even though she is on medication, she is still an unpredictable roller coaster of emotions half the time, something not conducive to earn trust from a parrot. So, IMPO and for his own sake, Urigard would do better with a different kind of animal companion, one that would not need such a close interaction from him as a parrot does.

As to the sennie biting the stranger first and then you, it's typical behavior. Sennies are nippy birds and they will punish you if you are trying to force them to do something they don't want to do. They are not too bad when young and the females are much better than the males but they are all nippy and they are all very stubborn little birds who adhere to the old "my way or the highway" philosophy... and the males are dowright aggressive when they get older, especially during breeding season. It's their nature, hard-wired into their genes, and there is very little you can do about it. Having said that and as long as you learn how to handle them and don't mind a few bites every now and then, they don't make bad companions. They are smart, independent, good eaters, good bathers, excellent fliers and are quite hardy. And, if you get a talker, they can end up with a very large vocabulary, I know because my male is one of the best talkers in the birdroom. Much better than two of my greys and four of my zons!

Its OK Beatriz. For whatever reason he had all his hopes built up on buying a parrot is all. I am getting the hang of taking care of the bird and he even gives me nose kisses, where he licks my nose I think, no nips at all. I let him watch some TV with me last night but he got a little frightened so I let him back up on his cage. I still can't get him to touch some of the destructable toys or this little gymnasium I bought for him, but I am working on that.

Also he plucked one more feather and I am worried now. My aunt told I should buy some powder or something to put on the area where he plucked it but I know he won't want me grabbing his wing. I hope it stops, but I will still care for him if he loses all of them. I can't think of how to make anything less stressful unless he got busy with the toys Urigard bought for him. Any suggestions?

Can he see the toys from inside his cage? It not leave them next to his cage (but not TOO close) so he can get used to them. Even for the most well adjusted bird this a common requirement to accept new toys. Let them sit next to his cage for a few days, then try to introduce them.

As far as plucking... is he leaving bald spots, or his he just removing the occasional feather which is part of normal grooming/molting? Is he bleeding from the site it was removed from? If not I'm not sure what this powder would be and I'm skeptical whether it would be a good idea.

Far to often people do more harm by trying to 'treat' a bird (medically) when it does not need treatment. If you suspect any treatment or medication is needed check with a vet first - then they can make sure you have the right stuff.

Well he has come around. I was over worried about the feather, because yes, he is loosing his fluff feathers as well so maybe he is molting. He has been grabbing his toys now and biting them but still not destroying them. And the skewer I bought to put his fruit on is working too. Everytime I take him on a ride on my hand I give him a treat and he is still giving me nose kisses with his tongue. I think things are on the right track now.

Sennies are not really big on playing with toys. What they like to do most is grab what you put in front of them with their beak and throw it out, then you go, pick it up and put it in front of them and, again, they throw it down to the floor. It's their version of a dog playing fetch only we are the dogs -LOL. What they really do love is chewing so get him branches and pieces of wood for him to peel the bark off and chew.

Beatriz,

I tried a stick with him, with the only one I could find and he flew away from it. I guess I should start out with a twig. He also started to whistle, it sounds very nice so I gave him some treats for doing so but then he got carried away squawking so I left him alone until he was quiet. It is quite an experience to own a bird. I introduced my nephew to him and now he calls me a pirate. He is 3. The bird was a little scared of all the movements a 3 year old can do. Thanks for all the advice.

You are so right. Owning a bird is quite an experience, but a fun one! Just keep plugging away and trying new things and you will do fine. Like AD said, they are little (or big) individuals and once you can learn to read them everything runs smoothly. Sounds to me like you are doing great. If it helps, my senegal does not like tree branches or anything like that. He's content with his perches and swing and he loves his toys, his favorite are the toys with bells. Good luck! :green1:

Most Reactions

Back