URGENT! Help with Sun Conure

Sunucky

Jun 17, 2024
Parrots
Sun Conures
My sun conure is at least about 2 years old now. We named him Sun. He's a free-flight bird. We would always let him out every morning with his partner, except that he broke his nail today, also causing significant damage to one of his digits as it was between the gate. We have stopped his bleeding and he has been eating well. But one thing that concerns me is that I have to see him walking painfully with that foot, but only one of the digits remained unmoved which is the injured one. He has been lifting it nonstop trying to balance himself, I have no idea what to do right now, the vet is unavailable and I am doing my best to help him. I supposed there were no broken bones.

Please help me through this matter. Thank you.

Iā€™m very sorry to hear about your sun conure. I hope he is okay. I know when my parrots nails were cut too short... 2 bled (at his vet for his first nail trim with meā€¦ his nails were overgrown badly when I first adopted him), and he did the not stand on that foot for about a week Iā€™d say. Heā€™d keep lifting it up if he did try to stand on it. Your situation is a little different though as the digits are involved. I personally would bring my parrot to the vet in this situation. Could you make the first available appointment, and then see if they have any cancellations to call? That or even try local vets that see dogs, and cats. In a pinch they have came through for me. Most decline to see parrots.

Will this list help? Maybe to find a more available vet, or a closer one or info on an emergency vet? Good luck.

Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.

After it heals the bird will be fine and use its foot normally, even if a bone was broken and heals out of whack he will still be able to use it. Foot Injuries are very common in birds as thats where rival birds target the most. They wouldn't have made it 65 million years if a broken toe got in the way. In less that a week or so the bird will be putting more pressure on it and be using it as normal.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back