Urgent: Craigslist macaw

kenzie

Mar 26, 2013
I've been browsing for a bird lately and I decided I'd rescue instead of buy. I have expierience with budgies, but have the knowledge for a bigger bird. I found a listing for a BG macaw. All the lister said was he was sepaerating with his wife and he bird was going. I plan to email him for more info to see if the bird is tame etc. Do you think I am ready for a macaw, with the expierience I have? I think I have enough time for him and I know how to do basic training. I feel bad for the little guy. He looks scared. :( Also I doubt the guy knows what he's doing, he spelled macaw 'miccaw'.

Since this will be your first experiance owning a larger parrot, make sure you know what you're getting into when taking in a rehome.

Ask what his diet is. Is he on only seeds? Peanuts? This will give you an idea of if you need to transition him onto a pelleted diet and how difficult it might be to do so if he says "Well he only eats pizza."

Ask if he has any bad habits, but be prepared not to be told the truth at first ( I have lack of faith in people who don't spell their parrots species correctly.) Feather picking, biting, lunging, excessive screaming. If you can call him, listen for screaming in the background.

Definitely visit. See if you can get him to step up. Try and see if he's cage territorial with his owner.

All these behaviors can be very difficult to work with if you're not use to it with a larger birds. Macaw's LOVE to play games, and intimidation is a big one that gets them all excited if they have someone that falls for it.

Also, if he comes with his cage, be prepared to buy a new one. I've seen too many with cages far too small.

Vet visits is another thing. He'll need to be taken to the vet for a checkup. So far I'm up to 666.00 in one vet visit for my recent rescue.

Taking in a bird that needs a home is a rewarding thing, but try not to 'overbird' yourself. You want it to be a pleasant experience for the both of you, so if you think it might be too much work, don't feel bad walking away.

Last edited:
the beak is an intimidating thing. When I went from my sennie to my greys, I couldn't help but flinch every time they stretched their heads over to me, and it took me months to get over that little tick. Make sure you have the confidence to take on this bird, if you get scared at the beginning during the bluffing stage it could set the tone for your relationship.

Also watch out for a scam, don't send money to have the bird shipped to you.

If you are able to visit ask to see the current owner to interact with the macaw. If they won't don't back down right away, many people are intimidated by macaw beaks. A older bird can be a wonderful companion once you show them that life can be good. Good parronts make great birds.

This will be a huge change from a budgie. I believe that as long as your prepared (reasearch, research, research) and have come to terms with the possibility of a bad bite being a possibilty you can get any bird you want.

Also consider your long term plans - are you stable where you live for many years? Is it a place that a parrot screaming won't bother your neighbors? A single family home is best for loud birds. If you move around a lot, it could be hard to find appropriate housing where you can take a large bird.

Do you have a fair amount of disposable income? If you are scrimping to pay your current obligations, a parrot is going to add quite a bit of cost to that.

Do you have time? If you work long hours, go to school, have young kids, etc, consider whether you have the extra time at home to not only spend time with your bird, but also the extra time for food prep and poop cleaning that a large parrot requires every day....for the rest of your life.

Also consider your long term plans - are you stable where you live for many years? Is it a place that a parrot screaming won't bother your neighbors? A single family home is best for loud birds. If you move around a lot, it could be hard to find appropriate housing where you can take a large bird.

Do you have a fair amount of disposable income? If you are scrimping to pay your current obligations, a parrot is going to add quite a bit of cost to that.

Do you have time? If you work long hours, go to school, have young kids, etc, consider whether you have the extra time at home to not only spend time with your bird, but also the extra time for food prep and poop cleaning that a large parrot requires every day....for the rest of your life.

All excellent questions!! One question was not asked though. Are you willing to take a chance with a big beak that can cause great pain and damage to your body and home? Macaws need a lot of patience and understanding too. If you are willing to deal with all this, then go for it.

Personally, I think you should go with an Amazon before a macaw, but it's your choice. I had experience with an Amazon a long time ago before I commited to a macaw so I had some idea what I was getting into. I originally thought Amazons were loud and had bad behaviors, but macaws are worse. I now have another amazon in my life and feel it is so much easier in comparison. Everything about macaws has to be bigger and bigger means more expensive. lol. Good luck!

To answer Sonja and Merlee's ?'s:
Sonja:
I am stable where I live for now, but I am planning on going to college, but I can live at home. If worse comes to worse my whole family is bird obsessed so nothing is that big of a problem. Our house is located in the country so I doubt neighbors could hear screaming. ( or maybe I could get back at them for playing the bag pipes all day ). I think I have a fair amount of income. I can dedicate about $160 every 6 weeks. Considering I do still go to school I can have the bird out a minimum of 4 hours a day ( again my family loves birds and can get him out if needed ).
Merlee:
The beak is intimidating, but I think I can handle it. I won't let him get away with biting etc. The only thing I'd be worried about is getting a chunk out of my face ( LOL ).

Safiria:
I called the guy and asked him a bunch of questions. He said the bird didn't bite, but was loud. He also said he ate a good diet and said a few words. I didn't hear any screaming in the backround. However I find it strange he is selling his wifes bird. He said they were seperating and they couldn't keep the bird. It bothered me that I didn't get to talk to his wife, who was the main care giver. It sound strange, but divorces can be messy. I can always pay him a visit, he lives pretty close.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back