Update on socializing my sun with new baby GCC

Ashleigh86

Sep 12, 2013
Usa
well, we have been working on this for a week tomorrow and it seems to be progressing nicely! Indy was completely jealous and also afraid at first so I was worried it wasn't going to work out, but then I thought: "Parrots are smart little creatures. I know she can figure out how to be around another bird." The real problem is Indy has never really been socialized with other birds. She was the only one that hatched in her clutch and she has always been by herself, but with people and spoiled lol. And then I got her and spoiled her some more! Really, she's just afraid because she doesn't know what to expect from this other bird, and she's not being aggressive, just avoiding her. But she's still pretty young(2 years old in August) and I think she can figure this out. I watch them diligently when they are out together and if Indy tries to bite at all I just blow in her to snap her out of it which works really nicely. I've also been working on trust exercises between her and I to help her confidence. I am having them eat together morning, afternoon and sometimes evening since birds do some bonding when they eat together. It's been getting better and better. When we first started, Indy wouldn't even eat around Tiki at all. Now, she's eating really well, but she's still weary. She's always been kind of an extreme scardy-cat, but I think that this can be good for her. She's not stressed, and she's acting normal, eating and drinking well, playing with her toys...so she just needs to get used to it. I also have them in separate cages in the same room a foot or so away from each other so they are close but not within reach just in case. Anything else I can do? Has anyone else had this type of situation that would have some good advice?

Well, we've been at this for almost four months now! The baby pineapple is fitting in with our little family and is a character lol Indy, our sun is tolerating her, but still not letting Tiki groom her. They are out together always so they have to get used to each other eventually! All Tiki wants is to cuddle, and Indy is like, don't touch meeeeee....they don't fight, they just "bicker" every once in a while, but no real agression towards each other. I've been putting them on the same perch together and doing trick training together, and eating together every morning and I think we are slowing winning Indy over lol we will see! Indy will be 2 years old August 8th and Tiki will be 7 months old on the 10th. Here are some photos:
You can see Indy leaning away like Tiki is an icky spider she doesn't want to touch lol

just hanging out on my lunch break

trick training together

tiki's bed head LOL

hanging out in the shower together :)

Awww looks like you have put in a lot of effort and it seems to be paying off!! Good job! :) They look so cute together too their colors compliment eachother well. I'm sure you'll have a mischievous duo on your hands in no time and they will be best buddies.

Awww looks like you have put in a lot of effort and it seems to be paying off!! Good job! :) They look so cute together too their colors compliment eachother well. I'm sure you'll have a mischievous duo on your hands in no time and they will be best buddies.

i sure hope so!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back