PrincessSarah

May 22, 2015
Washington
Parrots
Lady Rose, Galah Cockatoo
Gonzo, Greencheek Conure
Shrek, Rose throat conure
Hello all!!
So Rose is making incredible progress. We found the one thing she'll take from my hands! Apple juice. She loves Apple juice. She also loves sweet tea, but I worry if that's safe for her. She has come out of her cage a few times. She's always very frightened and cuddles right up to me. It only lasts a few minutes. I make her stay out for five minutes, then reward her by letting her back into her cage. Now, the next step. She's so attached to this cage, I'm wondering if I should replace her cage. Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

Well done on the progress you've made so far!

I did this slightly differently. I always allowed her a route back to the cage: I wanted her to take a treat without feeling that she was risking losing the security of the cage. At first she'd step up, take the treat and retreat to the cage again, then she started eating the treat on my arm before going back to the cage, then she seemed to realise that it wasn't such a bad thing to stay out afterwards. It took a while but she got there. Forcing her to stay out for a set time feels a little like flooding, where really you would be better thinking in terms of positive reinforcement.

As far as tea goes, caffiene and sugar are a definite no for birds, I'm pretty sure there's a chemical in black tea that is harmful and I've been warned off green tea for parrots as well. Others on here might be able to give you a more scientific answer but I'd er on the side of caution with that one.

She's terrified of treats. Apple juice is the only thing she'll take from me. I'm trying to use that to my advantage.

Will she eat rolled oats or any other cereal? One of the ways I encouraged Dominic to fly was to coax him onto the kitchen table with a pinch of rolled oats. It takes a few minutes for those to be eaten, especially if you spread them around a bit. Then, he would hightail it back to his fridge (Dom lives on top of our fridge. It is his castle.) Over time, he learned to hang around for a while, sniffing out any extra treats (sunflower seeds, raisins etc) that might be about. Galahs are very greedy birdies in my experience and so you can use food to great advantage - mostly. Have you tried Rose with various kinds of seeds and nuts to see what she might like? Sometimes peanut butter works well as a treat (but only in strict moderation because of the fat content). Best of luck with your girl! Be patient and she'll get there, I'm sure! :)

Her cage may be the only "safe" place in her mind, so taking it away will only make her more afraid and insecure. Our Rocky's cage is the only constant he's had in his life of bouncing from home to home, and we respect his need to be within sight of it, though now he's willing to go a short distance away from it if he's with me. I even took him into another room last weekend and he couldn't see his cage from there, and he was okay with that, though we didn't stay long. You have to move at the bird's comfort level. Don't push. Don't set deadlines and time constraints. Make it so attractive to be out of the cage that she'll WANT to. It takes time.

her cage may be the only "safe" place in her mind, so taking it away will only make her more afraid and insecure. Our rocky's cage is the only constant he's had in his life of bouncing from home to home, and we respect his need to be within sight of it, though now he's willing to go a short distance away from it if he's with me. I even took him into another room last weekend and he couldn't see his cage from there, and he was okay with that, though we didn't stay long. You have to move at the bird's comfort level. Don't push. Don't set deadlines and time constraints. Make it so attractive to be out of the cage that she'll want to. It takes time.

i absolutely 100% agree with this statement. Take that away from her and you're liable to induce panic and worse - plucking...

Oh good to know!! I've tried peanut butter, noodles, a multitude of different seeds and fruit. Anytime I offer her anything from my hand, she recoils like it's the devil himself. However, offer her a pitcher of apple juice and she's all over it, even grabbing the pitcher when I take it away. She came out again today. She walked around in the floor for a second. Then started to panic (dog) so I picked her up. She cuddled into me for a second, then started to scramble for her cage. I didn't make her stay out. I tried to give her apple juice while she was out, but she was too panicked.

I'd proceed very cautiously with Rose. You are observing many of the hallmark Cockatoo traits that complicate her socialization. Finding a menu of treats* to work with is essential. You might try unshelled almonds, pine nuts, bits of string cheese, cooked whole-grain noodles, cooked cereals - things that are her equivalent of caviar! If she trusts you sufficiently to cuddle there exists a baseline of trust. Be very careful about alienating her from Her Palace The Cage, a critical security zone. I don't suggest you have 1 or 2 chances to succeed, but significant lapses can really set you both back.

*Treats to train with are a minefield, striking a balance of healthiness vs motivational mojo is crucial. It may be acceptable with a healthy bird to reward a great leap with an item that is extravagent but safe.

She is incredibly healthy, physically. Bright eyes, soft, smooth feathers. She has begun mimicking just about everything I say to her. Lol It's a history of two other owners, one of whom was abusive, that has led to this. I've tried almonds, shelled sunflowers, peanut butter, noodles. I've even gone completely outside of healthy and tried peanut M&Ms. There's been progress there too. It used to be she would panic and run from the food. Now she takes it and throws it down.

Have you tried eating various treats while she watches? A few nibbles, a head bob, and an "mmmmmmm" noise or other squeal of delight might pique her curiosity.

Have you tried millet? It worked great for me because it took her a good few minutes to eat an inch long sprig of it, which took her mind off being away from the cage. Also pine nuts, monkey nuts and dried banana slices are really popular treats for Alice.

If she's not taking treats from your hand, do you leave them in the cage for her to try in her own time? That sometimes helps with introducing new things.

I do leave them in her food bowl for her to try. That seems to be fine. She'll eat millet in her cage. However, if I try to feed it to her, she takes it from my hand and throws it down.

Most Reactions

Back