Training new 12 year old blue and gold macaw

Adreamsmum

Jul 19, 2024
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
Hey guys I'm sorry I'm really new to this. Well A'Dream has started to try bite me through the bars so. This morning I used my target stick and used an orange(piece of Clementine he loves them) and rewarded with that for letting me rest my hand on the cage to start i think he is still peed off becaise i put him in.. its awkward and i got him in a hurry so its trial an error. Any one got any clue what will work I only want for him to go in his cage when he's wanting too. Bit now how do I dig myself out of the bad books.

That is a problem. A lot of parrot care books are outdated in a lot of areas, behavior modification in parrots is a big one. I would only put some faith in ones written within the last 10-15 years, and then not every book - there is no parrot book police out there making sure every author is qualified and smart.

I don't know much about macaws but we do have a good resource on here. GO to our Macaw sub forum and read all posts by birdman666 the man is a macaw whisperer.

That is a problem. A lot of parrot care books are outdated in a lot of areas, behavior modification in parrots is a big one. I would only put some faith in ones written within the last 10-15 years, and then not every book - there is no parrot book police out there making sure every author is qualified and smart.

I don't know much about macaws but we do have a good resource on here. GO to our Macaw sub forum and read all posts by birdman666 the man is a macaw whisperer.
No it's me who's outdated I've trained 100s of birds. But that was a long while ago. I know 0 of his background....however he still lunges when I'm outside the cage but inside he is the sweetest. He just watches with fascination. I know what parrots are. Also they all have different behaviours and I know birds. But I do not know this ones background and as I said the kazillions tips have thrown me off so way to ask the forum a question I've been with him 24/ 7 (except Wyn I have to do any errands. ) when I got him in the 4week period the other guy had him he's been feather or over preening but not so much now I've managed to shower him. I used cool boiled water didn't want him to get a fright if it was cold,this would just break that teustxxxx thanks for answering me8xxx

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back