"Tim bor" parrot safety?

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Going to keep this short. I have post beetles in the wood of my cabin. I am about to treat with a product "Tim bor" and not sure how safe it is around birds. None of them need to be in here while I am spraying down the wood, but how long should I have this be a no bird zone after it's applied? I obviously won't let them nibble the treated wood. It seems like a relatively safe product but I'm not wanting to risk anything obviously. Hima is the only one who spends most of her time out here, the rest of the flock are usually in the bird room.

It does sound relatively safe but with birds it’s always best to exercise caution. I would wait at least twenty four hours after treatment before having them in the same room with the treated wood. Two to three days would be even better. And not letting them chew on it is also wise.

I strongly suggest you read the back of the bag for this stuff. Anything that requires me to wear PPE while even handling a product and then to wash any clothing , separately, and to call Poison Control if ingested is not going anywhere near my parrot!

You're in Appalachia, there must be some down home country remedy for this problem, folks didn't have fancy chemicals back in the day. And likely works better then something that will kill you (or your parrot).

I mean, even vinegar requires PPE and a call to poison control if it's concentrated enough. As far as I understand it Tim bor is a natural product based off a mineral. I don't have the luxury of time to try and kill the beetles based off wood moisture level, and I live in the cabin so killing them with heat or cold isn't really practical. They can be as damaging as termites, and I need a roof over my head so don't have a whole lot of options.

Most Reactions

Back