Thoughts on windows & foot chewing?

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
Black-cap Conure - 'Felix' -Hatched May. 12/2013
Peach-Face Love Bird - 'Sam' (1990-2013)
So I have been doing some research the last couple of days into Felixs' obsession with his feet. I have spoken to some people who have said they keep their birds in front of a window so they have something to look at & be interested in during the day when they are not home & I have met some people who say it is not a good idea to keep them in Front of windows b/c of dratfs, sun exposure, and wild birds are seen as predators by our feathered companions...

I think Felix is bored in his cage and this is why he is always playing with his feet...although someone told me it is because he is molting.... I have an assortment of toys and foraging toys and foot toys in his cage but still he nibbles on his feet constantly...any thoughts on Felixs' foot obsession & if boredom in his cage may be the cause? If so, is moving the cage by a window a good idea? If not, any suggestions on cage activities conures tend to enjoy engaging in?

To be honest, Felix always chews & nibbles on his feet. Even when he is out of his cage. He has tonnes of different toys to play with but he chooses his feet & I am worried he is going to chew, nibble, and lick them so much they may become raw & develop sores....any input would be greatly appreciated.....:green2:

Last edited:
cooper's care is near a window(actually a big sliding glass door), but not directly in front of it. he can see out but isn't directly in front of it. Its fine to have them right in front of the window unless it gets a lot of direct sunlight. even then, as long as they have some area out of the sun, its fine. i haven't had a problem with seeing birds outside as predators. cooper also sits in front of the window on his atom. but he is sorta used to the outside because i take him out in him carrier/harness a lot. i guess it depends on the bird.

My Dad once had a cockatoo with this problem and he (the cocky) went on to nibble his entire foot off to a stump! It's easy enough to say it's 'boredom', but the way Dad's bird continually nibbled and nibbled reminded me of incurable OCD. I think there are some birds that acquire some habits that are lifelong and only physical prevention will stop them. You might ask your vet about an Elizabethan collar for Felix, even if only for a short while. I don't mean to scare you, but do try and stop this nibbling behaviour before it becomes an intractable habit!

Thanks mrgoogls & Betrisher...

Noted!!! Will be making a phone call to vet tmrw.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back