Thinking of getting another bird

Oct 19, 2024
Parrots
sun conure!
hi everyone! I need some advice:D I have been really wanting another bird right now I have a sun conure and I love her so much shes an angle (I know a bigger bird is 20xx more work than a sun conure) but I really want a bigger bird I have always loved birds. I know not every single big birds going to dance, sing, do tricks, talk, and so on. I have done research to see if a bigger bird can fit my lifestyle and I am very sure it does. Im okay with loud noise (so is my family), I have time to train and be there for my bird almost 95% of the time (and i am going to be for YEARS), i have room for a cage (still working on savings for the bigger stuff but i have money for supplying good food, toys, perches, water, baths, and all of that fun stuff!), i have the patience, my only real concern is my conure. She gets extremely jealous of dogs, stuffed animals, kids, toys, paper., anything I cuddle with just worried how that would go- I really want a talking bird which I don't want to get hated on- but I really would love a talking bird. I am stuck between two birds African grays or amazons. I really love them both but right now I'm getting into amazons and trying to get a real honest experience. I have done research on Amazon! What's the solid truth about them? Are they good pets to have? Should I rescue or buy? what is the best kind of amazon to have? which is the most or least affection (Ik it does depend on the bird but ik some breeds sometimes intend to have certain behavior) are they okay with other birds? and how would i make that work safely. Sorry its kind of a lot of questions just wanna know

Aside from the very naive assumption that a given species of Amazon has specific traits like cuddlyness, etc (SO SO not true), the addition of a new bird to your flock, even if its just you and 1 bird, will change the dynamics of your relationship with your original bird. Sometimes it remains the same and the new bird fits right in. That is RARE! Lots of time the new and old birds be come pals and start to exclude you. Sometimes one or the other maintains a relationship with you and sometimes both. There is a myriad ways the dynamics change.

Costs go up thats for certain. and your 1 on 1 time with each goes down, thats for certain too.

I always recommend thinking long and hard about adding ANY new parrot to a flock. Adding an Amazon, where each parrot is very much its own individual is a whole 'nuther thing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back