thinking about it...

ocatoro

Apr 26, 2015
Hey folks... considering getting a black headed caique later in the year :)

we just have a lovebird at the moment which has been a learning curve in itself after only having the usual budgies as kids many many years ago... but after a huuuuge change into hormonal and territorial aggression and ow having overcome that we're having good bird times again.

still get the odd nip, but it's nothing bad like before.

Everything I've read says caiques can be very aggressive despite their small size... beak don't look so small!! haha

so yeah, how aggressive are they really? compared to a lovebird for example who're renowned for territorial aggression.

I feel like maybe we've learned the hard lessons with the lovebird and it wouldn't be so bad even if was a little more bitey.

*also.. i keep seeing folk say to discourage biting and train them out of it... how is that done?

pic of Burd to brighten the post :)

10660240_10153129113760795_4172600101281193353_n.jpg

I love "Burd" !!! So cute . Ill tell you something , figuring out your lovebird . Your ready for a Caique :) . I have 3 and would recommend them . The trick to Caiques [not when their babies]. Is when you let them out ,let them play for a little while . Then go and see them . They need to blow off some steam . Be consistent with family members seeing them . I bet they will like them all :). Now heres the part with Caiques . You cant let them get something they cant have . Like a pen or an earring [its theirs] and will fight you to the death for it . I find my caiques easier than my conures.

Caiques are very headstronng and determined. When you challenge them on something they want, THEN they can become violent. Instead of a direct challenge, you must use distraction.

That said, you have another issue. Caiques play very rough. Even if a new caique made friends with BURD ( not at all a given), then a caique could kill him accidentally when playing

yeah I would never let them play together. that's been a given from day one as I read that lovies are not too lovey and like to attack unfamiliar birds even other lovebirds. I'm sure mine would go on the attack... she's mental haha

distraction makes sense, i'm sure we'd get the hang of that.

Caiques are very headstronng and determined. When you challenge them on something they want, THEN they can become violent. Instead of a direct challenge, you must use distraction.

That said, you have another issue. Caiques play very rough. Even if a new caique made friends with BURD ( not at all a given), then a caique could kill him accidentally when playing

Very true! From what I understand, a Jardine may be a better mix, otherwise you are pushing your other fids backstage!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back