Things to do with new baby

Tara

Jun 28, 2013
Ontario
Parrots
Millie, SI eclectus
I've had my baby SIE for a week now and I'm wondering if I can do anything better. So far she's out of her cage for 4-6 hours a day, chilling on perches with me. When she's on my arm, she tries to climb up to my shoulder and fly somewhere higher (top of the fridge is her favorite, it seems). I want her to be more comfortable with me. I understand that will take a lot of time. Today I'm going to try to feed her corn while she sits on my arm and talk quietly to her. Is there anything else I can do to make her feel more comfortable? I know it's a long, slow process but I want to be sure I'm doing it right.

Having her eat from your hand is a GREAT idea. :) Is there a toy that she likes? If so, you could hold the toy and have her play with it while you're holding it. The whole while sweetly talk to her.

She doesn't seem so interested in toys. I play with them in front of her and try to get her interested but she gives me that "mummy's crazy" look.
Il try the food thing in a bit and let you guys know how it goes. :)
She was sitting on a perch near her cage but just flew back in so ill let her have quiet time.

Tara, perhaps try with some foot toys, or very simple things such as a strand of (bird safe) leather in which you put a couple of knots, and perhaps a piece of thin wood or two. :)

Paper. Every parrot dreams of paper. I swear, they love ripping it apart it's like a life long obsession. If you have paper in hand they will come haha. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Back