The hole between the nostrils of my Amazon

h4l1.png

Mar 8, 2024
Parrots
Green-cheeked conure | Moline
Hey, a few days ago I bought an Orange-Winged Amazon and I noticed a hole between her nostrils. Otherwise, she is 2 months old.

Attachments

• ž.jpeg
    ž.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5744.jpeg
    IMG_5744.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 17
Yipes. While you're waiting for some good advice ere (I don't have any!), will this help??
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.
If none are near you, maybe you could call and ask for a recommendation for somebody in your area.
And... sometimes, distant vets will offer brief thoughts or advice...

more pic

Attachments

• IMG_5751.jpeg
    IMG_5751.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5749.png
    IMG_5749.png
    486.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5748.png
    IMG_5748.png
    619.8 KB · Views: 3
Appears to be caused by a sharp edge on a cage bar or like that has cut away at the Bill material at that location! She would likely be shifting her head back and forth along the bar and hitting that area. It is possible that a toy maybe the source. Time to run your finger(s) over all the surfaces she comes in contact with.

At this point, not of great concern, but any deeper and problems with infection are of great concern!

This morning it seems that the situation has improved in contrast to yesterday. The tissue that was red yesterday and that was hanging down looks like it healed overnight, so I think this was just an injury of some kind, and I still don't understand how the injury happened because I literally got it with this, I think it's at breeder "got it by the nose"

IMG_5758.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5756.jpeg
    IMG_5756.jpeg
    472.2 KB · Views: 4
NOW.

My parrot now dont have hole on nostrils

Attachments

• IMG_5768.jpeg
    IMG_5768.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5760.jpeg
    IMG_5760.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 7
Hey, a few days ago I bought an Orange-Winged Amazon and I noticed a hole between her nostrils. Otherwise, she is 2 months old.
Have to Say This Is How the Hole Began With Our Rescued Orange Winged Amazon some 28 Years Ago. At First We Took Her to the Avian Vet Numerous Times. It Stressed Her or Him, Names Paco But Been Told Paco's a She, So, Anyway, Paco had to be Flushed with Antibiotics & then We were Told Seed Actually Get's Stuck in There & Causes Infection or Almost like a Rot. We Were Also Told We Could Watch Her/Him & Bring Paco In IF We Wanted to But That it Would Likely Not Stop. Today, 28 years now, We Do Worry About this because the Hole Is Much Larger Now But Since She/He is a Rescue We have No Idea Of Age so We Realized it Was Causing So Much Stress to Paco, We Just Didn't Want to Put Paco Thru this Every Year or Even Every 2-3 Years. But I Will Say This, If I Had it to Do Over, I Would At the Least Find a "Better" Avian Vet Who Acted Like They Cared a Bit More & Had a Better Plan than Just "Watching" it Grow. I Feel bad even talking about it But Paco Sure Hated, Hated Going There. As an Amazon They Should be Eating more Fruits & Veggies Anyway But, they Also Love their Seeds too. At Least Paco Wants Both. In the End I'd Just Say, Find a Great, Avian Vet & Take "Their" Advice. These Birds Have a Long Life Hopefully & They Deserve to be Comfortable & Happy, Like All Animals. They Depend On Us So Like Young Children, We Need to Help Them. Good Luck.

Have to Say This Is How the Hole Began With Our Rescued Orange Winged Amazon some 28 Years Ago. At First We Took Her to the Avian Vet Numerous Times. It Stressed Her or Him, Names Paco But Been Told Paco's a She, So, Anyway, Paco had to be Flushed with Antibiotics & then We were Told Seed Actually Get's Stuck in There & Causes Infection or Almost like a Rot. We Were Also Told We Could Watch Her/Him & Bring Paco In IF We Wanted to But That it Would Likely Not Stop. Today, 28 years now, We Do Worry About this because the Hole Is Much Larger Now But Since She/He is a Rescue We have No Idea Of Age so We Realized it Was Causing So Much Stress to Paco, We Just Didn't Want to Put Paco Thru this Every Year or Even Every 2-3 Years. But I Will Say This, If I Had it to Do Over, I Would At the Least Find a "Better" Avian Vet Who Acted Like They Cared a Bit More & Had a Better Plan than Just "Watching" it Grow. I Feel bad even talking about it But Paco Sure Hated, Hated Going There. As an Amazon They Should be Eating more Fruits & Veggies Anyway But, they Also Love their Seeds too. At Least Paco Wants Both. In the End I'd Just Say, Find a Great, Avian Vet & Take "Their" Advice. These Birds Have a Long Life Hopefully & They Deserve to be Comfortable & Happy, Like All Animals. They Depend On Us So Like Young Children, We Need to Help Them. Good Luck.
Now, it's completely healed and there's absolutely nothing, no holes

Now, it's completely healed and there's absolutely nothing, no holes
That's Great News Because With Paco It Truly Never Did Heal. I Believe that's why the "Vet" Said Well Just Watch It. He Knew It Was Not Going to Heal or Stay Healed. Great News For You & Your Amazon Both.

Most Reactions

Back