The Andy Griffith song

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
So lots of people have parrots that can whistle this classic tune. I figured I'd try to get Perjo to sing it eventually, it's a long tune so I wanted to wait till she was older and started talking. But yesterday I said what the heck. So I found a youtube that someone made in which they have the whistling only on a loop, with a 15-20 second break in between each repeat.

Now I don't beleive in playing a sound over and over again for hours to teach a bird, I think it's a bit torturous, but a short loop for 15 minutes seems reasonable. So I did it.

And what do you konw , this morning that little stinker is trying to sing The Andy Griffith tune. She's not getting it right, but she's got the melody and timing down, just getting her different notes a bit mixed up, and I can tell she's really trying to get it down each time she tries it.

Truly amazing to witness them in their process .

LOL, what is about that tune? I've seen vids of cockatiels doing that like forever.
Why not Sweet Home Alabama, the Coke commercial tune, or other melodies?
It is pretty amazing she picked it up in 1 day. Now you owe us a video

I'm with Al here! Video!! Something about that tune lol. BB's first vocalization was the wolf whistle, then I figured,what the heck? Lets try the AG tune.. So as I played on the computer,and BB sitting on my shoulder,I'd whistle it to him.
It only took a couple days and he whistling away lol.
Right now, he has MOST of it down pat :D
He'll sit on my shoulder,start whistling,STOP and let me do the next verse,then I'd stop,and he'd pick up where I left off lololol.

A little game we play and he seems to enjoy it..smart little 'tiel that he is!

Jim

I am going to go find that video right now, thank you for the tip! I hope my guys pick it up:)
I would also love to see a video of Perjo!

LOL, what is about that tune? I've seen vids of cockatiels doing that like forever.

The lovebird in my profile picture would whistle out some choruses of Good Charlotte songs, oh what I would have given for a camera phone with video back then!

Lol I avidly avoided her hearing the Andy Griffith theme because I already spent a good chunk of the week around parrots who knew it lol.

I know which video you use. I pull it up on my TV and play it. Buzz and Buddy have started whistling portions of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AG song is so popular with parrots b/c it's a whistling song, the other one's you mentioned aren't necessarily such.

She doesn't do it well, like I said, she's got it melodically down, the timing and tempo, but she doesn't get more than a few notes in a row correct.

I'm so jealous!
It *IS* a classic!
But since the Rickeybird can't or won't whistle, and just imitates the sound, all I got was...
Ra rit rit, RITTTT, ra reee roo rittt! And that's as far as it got.
It's been a few years since I heard it, so he may have forgotten it.

I'm so jealous!
It *IS* a classic!
But since the Rickeybird can't or won't whistle, and just imitates the sound, all I got was...

Gail..parrots NEVER forget! :rolleyes:

When my/moms next door neighbor came to visit,she'd come to the back door,and yell "ELLEN???...ELLEN???" < my moms name>
Mom has been gone now,for nearly 10 years..and on occasion, Amy will still cry out "ELLEN???...ELLEN???"

She still remembers Mom!! It brings tears to my eyes when Amy says this..I'm assuming she is missing Mom as much as I am :15:

Jim

All day long Perjo has been making half ass attempts to do the song, little bit here, little bit there. It's hilarious. She'll get half way through the first verse and finish with the last two notes of the wolf whistle.

I know she knows she's doing it to, she's either being a smart ass playing around or trying to see if I respond somehow.

Oh, Jim, how precious! The Rbird calls for past cats and dogs. My grandmother believed he was seeing ghosts and would cross herself and do a few hundred rosaries every time he did it in her presence. He calls my name, imitating my ol' man's Texas drawl ("Gayyyy-ullll"). If I precede the bird in death, I hope it's a comfort to my husband, as Amy's "ELLEN!" is to you.

This has become so funny, she must be at a noticeable maturing point b/c she is very interested in new songs and sounds I am exposing her to.

She's trying so hard to incorporate bits of the AG tune into her daily routine. I let her listen to Transformer sound effect of them transforming and she's doing that as well. She's even trying to do some of the melodies of other whistles we do together but in the Transformer sound effect voice.

When she breaks the damn and starts talking I think she is gonna be verbose.

When she takes flight I often say "weeee" as she comes to a landing. I imagine she'll say "weeee" when she takes flight, which would be hilarious.

I'm so jealous!
It *IS* a classic!

Gail..parrots NEVER forget! :rolleyes:

When my/moms next door neighbor came to visit,she'd come to the back door,and yell "ELLEN???...ELLEN???" < my moms name>
Mom has been gone now,for nearly 10 years..and on occasion, Amy will still cry out "ELLEN???...ELLEN???"

She still remembers Mom!! It brings tears to my eyes when Amy says this..I'm assuming she is missing Mom as much as I am :15:

Jim

You are absolutely right. Just a month ago, I distinctly recall hearing a deafening
REEEEEEE oh rit ROOOOOOOOOOOOO
REEEEEEEE oh rit ROOOOOOOOOOOO

at dawn. Good morning, Rickeybird. :34:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back