Teaching my sun conure to dance

SharnaC

Jun 3, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Parrots
Sun Conure - Mango
Hi all!
First of all, I am new to the forum, so bear with me.
I got my new sun conure a couple of weeks ago and have set about teaching him to dance. I've done this by bobbing my own head up and down (looking ridiculous) and repeating 'dance', rewarding him with a treat if he does it too. I've also tried waving his sunflower seed treat up and down in front of him so that he has to bob his head to get it, although this way he seemed to get a bit distracted by the proximity of the treat.
The first day I tried, after an hour or so of bobbing my head, he seemed to get it. He was bobbing his head a little awkwardly when I did and asked him to dance, and then without my asking, he would do it for the treat.
But a couple of days later, he seems unwilling to dance anymore. When I ask, he doesnt seem interested, and will just climb somewhere else on his cage, or be looking to go somewhere else if I have him on my hand.
Any ideas or suggestions?

That's a bird for ya. It's possible that he forgot what "dance" meant already, but most likely he's just not in the mood. Try teaching him something different. My Sun doesn't know a lot yet but we are doing good with "step up" and were talking a little bit. Some days he won't step up no matter how much I try, but he'll be more than happy to carry on a conversation with me. The next day it could be completely opposite. Some days he's not even in the mood to get out of the cage.

A couple weeks is still early on. I've had mine for two months now and he still makes progress almost daily in listening better and learning new things (almost have "poop" down!). I wouldn't get bent out of shape and don't be too frustrated if he never wants to dance again. Just try to keep trying new tricks until you both find something you enjoy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back