Taming a scared Conure!

Silveria90

Jan 29, 2014
Hello all ^^
I bought my first Green-cheeked conure 4 days ago, a beautiful lady named Haru, and this is not my first bird, but my first parrot!

And im having some problems. She`s so scared. I can stand outside her cage and that doesnt bother her much, but if i put my hand in she will freak out. I tried holding my hand there for as much as 20 minuts with snacks and she doesnt care. I know she`s bored in her cage, but im pretty sure that if I let her out I`ll never get her back in lol.

Anyone have any tips? :)

- Ida & Haru :green2:

-Try giving her treats through the bars first until she is comfortable with that. Then move on to giving her treats inside her cage and so on.
-Sounds like she needs more time to adjust to her new home ;). Just move slow and with time she will settle in. Could take months, weeks, or days. But if you move at the pace she sets then I assure you that it won't take long. (Took my parent raised Shyra only a couple weeks to take treats from me and be hand tame ;) Thought it was going to take much longer lol)

P.S. Welcome to the forum :) and keep us posted ;)

Last edited:
Yep, time. don't rush it either. you can do harm to the relationship if you frighten her too much. I think standing there with treats is a good start. just remember, for the most part these birds are built for a bond with their flock and that's you so it will happen with patience and training. and treats!

Time is your ally here, and yummy treats. Let her come to you at her own pace. In the meantime, make sure her basic needs are met: safe cage, comfy placement in the room, assortment of toys. Make sure she is drinking and eating. She will come around in time, everything is still so new! :)

Thank you all for replying ^^
Yeah, i guess steady and easy is the way!
I cant wait until she gets more comfortable :)

But i think she wants to come out of the cage and have a flight around the room, but im not sure i can get her back into the cage xD
Anyone have any experience with that?

-When you let her out, make sure she is hungry. Either take her food away for an hour or two before you let her out, or let her run out of food herself and then let her out.
-When it's time to put her away, let her see you put food in her cage along with some treats and stand back for a bit. She should come back and climb in and while she is eating gently close her cage door. This way she'll associate going back in her cage is a good thing because she gets food and treats ;)
-If she doesn't come back after awhile, if you have a longer perch, you can try to have her step up onto (if she isn't scared of it) and put her back. But still only close the door when she is eating so you reinforce that it's good to be shut in.
-This is how I got my three parent raised babies back to their cage. If they didn't go on their own after awhile (or I was running out of time) I used a long wooden dowel for them to step up onto and put them back. The first few times were tricky but they learned quickly that being put back meant food :D

-When you let her out, make sure she is hungry. Either take her food away for an hour or two before you let her out, or let her run out of food herself and then let her out.
-When it's time to put her away, let her see you put food in her cage along with some treats and stand back for a bit. She should come back and climb in and while she is eating gently close her cage door. This way she'll associate going back in her cage is a good thing because she gets food and treats ;)
-If she doesn't come back after awhile, if you have a longer perch, you can try to have her step up onto (if she isn't scared of it) and put her back. But still only close the door when she is eating so you reinforce that it's good to be shut in.
-This is how I got my three parent raised babies back to their cage. If they didn't go on their own after awhile (or I was running out of time) I used a long wooden dowel for them to step up onto and put them back. The first few times were tricky but they learned quickly that being put back meant food :D

it really works,i was given an new gcc 2 months ago.
He too was/is not tame,and this is how i get him in his cage.
Now i don't have to take his food an hour before out anymore,only when they get out.
The sad thing is...he goes better in his cage now,than my tame ones.

Nutriberries get my gcc and Linnie to hurry back in or a treat stick:) Both were more of a pain when they were flighted. I had to clip their wings after too many fly ins with the windows and wall.

When working with a fearful bird, it's always best to take a step back and re-evaluate the situation.

If I had my safe haven and some giant scary creature that could potentially eat me tried to come into my area, I'd be freaking out too!

This article may be of help.

Working with Fearful Parrots: A Study in Videos | Learning Parrots

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back