talking!!!!

TokiesMom

Nov 10, 2015
Media
Copala,Sinaloa, Mexico
Parrots
1 baby peach front conure, named Jackie.
OK, I was told that "Tokie" talks....I didn't hear her, while we were there, but my question is, I know for a fact if she does, it will ONLY be in Spanish, since she is coming from totally Spanish speaking home......will she pick up on English eventually.....just by what she hears.....? Of course all my friends are now teasing me, becasue not only do I not speak much Spanish, I have an AWFUL Southern drawl, (accent)that even my smartphone doesn't understand!!!!!! seriously....do they just pick up what they hear?:blue1:

Billie, if Tokie knows words now, she may very well pick up/learn more words. So, you'll end up with a bi-lingual big mac.

Time to freshen up on your Spanish. :D

Nothing to help you, but LMSO!

David, what does the 's' stand for???? Laughing my 's' off. Hmm.... 'stuff', perhaps??? :D

Bonny says a few things in Turkish (mom, dad), and has started saying things in English (step up).

My parents Grey's speak, Spanish, Greek, and English.

Generally speaking macaws are so-so talkers.

They pick up certain words and phrases they hear. If you use it in context with them, they may pick it up in context...

For example:

Every food item with my greenwing is "Cracker."
Every drink item is "water."

She'll start regurging for me and tell me "it's good" and say "Want some."

She uses the same words when I'm eating and she wants to know if it's good (i.e. can I eat that?) and "Want some?" is what I ask her just before I give her a piece... SO SHE UNDERSTANDS THESE TERMS IN CONTEXT.

"Come here" is another phrase she knows in context. There are times when she "summons" me... (i.e. pick me up.)

So, there is a basic level of understanding they pick up with time.

If she already knows it in Spanish, then, you may learn one or two phrases...

Ahhhhh, that is so sweet, and actually, I can hardly wait.....I can relate.....the store part!!!!! I have been web surfing, and looking forward to being NOB, in Laredo TX to check out the pet stores.....JerseyWendy has already pointed me in the direction of a bird store in Laredo!!!!! LOL (and it is on the street that runs right behind the motel!!!!!

ahhhhh, that is so sweet, and actually, i can hardly wait.....i can relate.....the store part!!!!! I have been web surfing, and looking forward to being nob, in laredo tx to check out the pet stores.....jerseywendy has already pointed me in the direction of a bird store in laredo!!!!! Lol (and it is on the street that runs right behind the motel!!!!!

"honey, it's a sign from god... Quick give me the credit card!
I have been given a sacred mission to shop for bird toys...":d

I bet you are counting down the days until you bring her home! :D

So wait, you're going to TX to pick up your motorcycles, right? Please don't tell me you'll be riding those back to Mexico cause it'll be difficult to lug all the toys along. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back