sunflower seeds in summer season?

rawiswar2001

Mar 30, 2014
Parrots
Indian Ringneck, Alexandrine
I have 3 months old alexandrine parrot... Can I give him sunflower seeds in this season because he is not eating anything except this...

Feeding sunflower seeds to a bird is like feeding chocolate to a child. There's little nourishment in it and the bird will eventually get too fat and may suffer from that. My Galah was fed only on sunflower seed for many years and has huge fatty tumours hanging from him as a result. Fatty liver disease can be fatal too.

Most birds will go for sunflower seed, just as children go for sweets. However if you persist in feeding only healthy food, it's amazing what they will learn to eat. Why not feed a healthy diet of fresh fruit and vegetables with sunflower seed mixed in, then slowly reduce the amount of sunflower until only the healthy stuff is left? Other seeds like wheat or millet or even corn are much better for your bird, but he still needs fruit and veggies as well.

If you can keep sunflower seeds out of his daily diet, they're useful as a treat when you want to train him. I use them to reward my birds when I teach them tricks. Good luck - hope you can get your birdie to eat a healthier diet! :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back