Sun on Gabapentin and Meloxicam

kentstar

Sep 20, 2011
Ravenna, Ohio
Parrots
A sun conure, budgie. Miss my cockatiel Sam. See you someday I hope Sam! And my little girl Sky a budgie that passed away in 2007 Thunder my budgie passed away too last September. Miss you little budd
My vet put Sunny my Sun Conure on Metacam (Meloxicam) and Gabapentin (25 mg) for his foot. He chronically bites or scatches his right foot to where it starts bleeding. We have had him tested for allergies, bloodwork, xrays-- no allergies, no infections, no mites. We have tried everything we can think of! The vet thinks it could be nerve damage from the initial wound that he got a year ago (we got him up in the morning and he was bleeding on his foot pretty bad but we don't know if he scatched it on a perch, bite it, etc )

He only does this to the one foot, not both.

So, has anyone had experience with their birds on Gabapentin? How long did it take to start helping?

Im on gabapentin, and its great stuff. It will ONLY work on inflammation in the nervous system though, and its possible that in many cases it will only work in the spinal cord. I have peripheral nerve pain and it has been somewhat effective for me, but has not completely stopped my foot pain. It has made a huge difference with my spinal pain. When I started it, I noticed a difference within about 48 hours. It fully took effect within about 7 days. If he has an injury, it may need to be wrapped or he may need to wear a cone to allow it to fully heal. Gabapentin wont prevent him from feeling an open/irritated wound. Additionally, I find it wears off pretty quickly, so I take a small dose 3 times per day.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back