Suggestions on buying almonds

Kdfhuey

Aug 19, 2014
Parrots
Blue Throated Macaw-Armand
Does anyone have any recommendations on a reputable place to buy almonds from? I'm trying to figure out if it's better to buy them in the shells or shucked and whether they should be pasteurized or not?

When they are pasteurized they loose some of their nutrients.

I searched and could not find many places that will sell them unpasteurized let alone in the shell so had to settle for ones already shelled.

Almonds

My Safe Bird Store and Dr's Foster and Smith both sell almonds in the shell. My Safe Bird Store is cheaper, but they seem to be out of stock on nuts a lot.

You can also get them at a place like Whole Foods.

Keep in mind even though the packaging states they are raw, the nuts will have been pasteurized. When I bought some 2 years ago from Bremner Farm she assured me they were not pasteurized and I see their site still states that.

Also any nuts you buy now will be last fall's harvest that would be stored in a warehouse. I like using the storage containers that are air tight and have those in the freezers.

http://www.petsmart.com/supplies-training/storage-scoops/vittle-vault-pet-food-container-zid36-6702/cat-36-catid-100071?var_id=36-6702&_t=pfm%3Dsearch

nuts.com That's who I buy all my nuts from, and yes they have almonds in the shell.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Im ordering from Bremner Farms....Thank you especially to MacawLoverOf3 for the suggestion. They actually have really good pricing and are really nice folks to talk to!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back