Stupid bird beginner questions

Cathulhu

Oct 21, 2024
Parrots
Eclectus female

Amazon
Hello birders,

I have absolutely Zero experience with birds, but want to Start by taking Care of the birds at the shelter.
But I have some very Basic questions:

Do parrots living together as mates lay eggs? Is there a risk of Babies? Is there Something Like "Castration" for birds?

Do they need to fly? Is healthy If they live in a single room? Will they want to escape?

I have Seen bird "leashes" - is that good for the bird?

How often do they need to shower?

All These Things are Not existential, urgent questions, but i have asked myself what the stance of experienced birders is

Hello birders,

I have absolutely Zero experience with birds, but want to Start by taking Care of the birds at the shelter.

Do parrots living together as mates lay eggs? Is there a risk of Babies? Is there Something Like "Castration" for birds?

Do they need to fly? Is healthy If they live in a single room? Will they want to escape?

All These Things are Not existential, urgent questions, but i have asked myself what the stance of experienced birders is
Harness or leashes for birds can sometimes lead to injury, so I would recommend just getting a big enough cage for your bird(s) to fly a little in.
Give a bird a shower/bath at least 1-2 times a week.
(I'm not an expert but I do know some things and do a lot of research)

Last edited:
Same species parrots kept together may mate, if they like each other ( or the males does anyway). May, not will. So it depends. Horny parrots will try to mate with anything, even hands!

FLying is very heathy for parrots, its what they were made to do. They dont necessarily want to escape but many do, due to owners leaving doors and windows open.

The only safe way to take your parrot outside is in a harness. Even trained free flighted parrots can get scared or be chased by birds of prey, never to be seen again.

Most 1X a week or more often. Some, from very arid dry areas are OK with less.

Female birds don't need a male around to lay eggs. Example the millions of chicken eggs made daily. There is no castration for birds. If you don't want chicks then don't house males and females together.

Wild birds take showers almost daily. When they wake in the morning they are normally covered in dew, and will dip into puddles when they get the chance. So I offered a bowl full of water everyday, most of the time he would dive in, occasionally he would pass.
20220328_095032.jpg

Yes there are bird harnesses. Though they take time and patience to get the bird used to getting into and out of it.

Space needed for a bird depends on bird size. Smaller birds like Conures etc can make due in a larger bedroom for flying. Macaw on the other hand needs a lot more room. Flighted birds due need to actually fly to keep the muscles in shape.

Female birds don't need a male around to lay eggs. Example the millions of chicken eggs made daily. There is no castration for birds. If you don't want chicks then don't house males and females together.

Wild birds take showers almost daily. When they wake in the morning they are normally covered in dew, and will dip into puddles when they get the chance. So I offered a bowl full of water everyday, most of the time he would dive in, occasionally he would pass.View attachment 61734
Yes there are bird harnesses. Though they take time and patience to get the bird used to getting into and out of it.

Space needed for a bird depends on bird size. Smaller birds like Conures etc can make due in a larger bedroom for flying. Macaw on the other hand needs a lot more room. Flighted birds due need to actually fly to keep the muscles in shape.
He's so cute!!! <333

Hello birders,

Do parrots living together as mates lay eggs? As stated above, Hens can lay eggs! Never keep males and females of the same species together!

Do they need to fly? Is healthy If they live in a single room? Will they want to escape? YES, Parrots that are not allowed to fly, die younger as a result of cardiovascular failure! Normally long lived Parrots can lose as much as 75 to 80% of their normal life expectancy!

I have Seen bird "leashes" - is that good for the bird? NO, Parrots are by evolution designed to be Ultra-Lite and their bones can break using leashes. Using a bird harness is much safer as the load is distributed across the body.

How often do they need to shower? That is more specific to the region of this World the Parrot's Natural From! New World Parrots commonly like/want baths more often than those from dry/desert regions!

See above in Bold!!
Expand above to see added text!

So the single female eclectus in the shelter would need another female bird? Or a friend of a whole different species?
First: Eclectus as a species, IMHO, requires a home that has knowledge regarding their special and unique care. From their very specific diet to their unique mating and hatch requirements.

Likely she will need a family that will love her and spoil her as a single Parrot in their home, in which, she is at the center of their attention.

First: Eclectus as a species, IMHO, requires a home that has knowledge regarding their special and unique care. From their very specific diet to their unique mating and hatch requirements.

Likely she will need a family that will love her and spoil her as a single Parrot in their home, in which, she is at the center of their attention.
Aww, I can See her being a little princess and enjoying it <3

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back