Stick training has turned her into a CRAZY bird!

Crawls823

Mar 31, 2014
Ok. Started stick training with sunflower seeds. First 2 days, awesome!! Then last night she touched the stick, I clicked the clicker, gave her a treat and she nicked my finger and flew on the floor. Yesterday, I did the stick training through the cage (yes, I'm terrified she will bite me) because I didn't want to give up. She touched the stick, clicked the clicker, went to give her a treat and she flared up at me and hissed. What is the deal?? I hate the thought of never being able to touch her. I don't know what to do.

Can you try moving slower maybe? What about placing the treat inside a cup that you can easily drop the treat into?

That is a great suggestion. I will try that. I usually do the stick training 3 times a day. (2 naps and bedtime for our twins). So that the house is quiet when I do it. If she is in her cage she will walk all over it. Come up and hang upside down when I'm near her. Talks a little more each day (we've only had her a week and a half). She seems comfortable. I guess she just doesn't want me to touch her yet.

Changing homes can be quite a traumatic experience for birds. Once they start to settle in and feel more comfortable with the environment, their behavior may change then, too. She probably still needs time to get used to things.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back