Step up training setback

Marc_G

Jan 14, 2024
Parrots
Alexanderine
I have been attempting to teach step up to Hector, my 8 month old Alexandrine over the past few weeks. We had been doing OK, although he was only been prepared to hop onto my arm from the top of his cage and nowhere else. He would stay on my arm if he knew treats were coming, otherwise he would fly back to his cage after a short duration with me.

We had a bit of a setback the other day when all the usual ways to get Hector back into his cage failed, and my partner had to use a perch to maneuver him back in which he did not like - there was a lot of flying away. Usually food placed in the cage or impending bedtime as the light fades outside means he will go back in by himself, but that night he showed no sign of going back, and I'm not confident about leaving him out all night unsupervised.

I think he has seen this as a breach of trust and he now is much less willing to step up onto my arm, although he has done it a couple of times for a very short duration, even with the offer of treats, and he will not go near the perch that I also used as the target training. However, he still takes food from me and will allow me to be very close to him

Do I just need accept this as a setback and try to get back to where we were using the same methods as before? Do parrots forgive and forget?

As the self-confessed spoiler/enabler of an undisciplined Patagonian terror, I admire your devotion and good intentions I'm sure somebody else here will have a more expert opinion, but I think you're doing just fine. Hang in there!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back