Squished toe

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
My Indian Ringneck snuck under my office chair and I heard him squawk just as I rolled back to stand up. We have hardwood floors.

I do not know exactly what happened but suspect the end of his large toe got pinched. I would have expected to see a lot of damage but all I could notice is the skin half way up the toe was somewhat pale.

He was definitely injured as he was nibbling at it, had a slight limp, and was tucking this foot, the opposite one he would usually stand and sleep on. The toe was in the right location and he had full range of motion, but I could see he struggled with grip on the cage bars. He even elected to use it to grip a nut while he ate. The toe got slightly bruised over the next couple of days.

This is about 4 days, the bruising is gone, but I see some skin damage.

F8wNDWI.png

I'm wondering if he could have a fractured or crushed bone, and would it heal on its own or should I still consider snow shoes? His talons are so long though so I think his toe would still twist and I think he will not tolerate anything attached to his foot.

vbyYm2u.jpeg

First of all, what a beauty! And thank you for sharing and reaching out.
My first though is to seek advice of an avian vet.
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.
If none are near you, maybe you could call and ask for a recommendation for somebody in your area.
And... sometimes, distant vets will offer brief thoughts or advice...

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back