SOS friend with abused MITRID Conure? SOS

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
hey my friend just called me up worried about a conure she saved from a horrible situation

Was abused, hit beaten, locked in a tiny cage i guess, no toys no nothing just one tiny pearch

He plucked himself, and he has been like this for 10 years!!!!!!

I have always had birds but I never really had to deal with a case this strong and my friend is new to birds, also my friend lives across the country.

I was wondering IF anyone could help? I am kinda lost. I got her to join the forum. Really worried about the bird. The owners demanded 900 dollars to give up the poor bird to release it from prison. My friend agreed only to save the bird and the bird seem to cling to her wanting to escape from the cage and the people who keep him. My friend is so lost. She is a dog person. Has 3 dogs and a young baby. :11::41::63:

My first thought is to take the bird to an Avian Vet and have an exam done with blood work to ensure his feather plucking isn't cause from being sick. His/her Feathers may never grow back depending on the damage done to the feather follicles. Get him a bigger cage, lots of shredable toys, better diet, and lots of love. A few things could have caused the plucking from health to boredom.

Oh god. Absolutely the first port of call is going to be an avian vet and, in my opinion, once he's checked in your friend should contact a humane society or animal protection society to see about bringing charged against his former owners for animal cruelty. I suspect a case this severe might require somebody with extensive bird rehabilitation experience and your friend may be out of her depth, but with the support of a rescue society she may be able to recoup at least some of the 900 she paid to rescue him from that situation. This is not just a horrible case of neglect but of cruelty too and these people should be brought to justice before they get another animal to ruin.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back