xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
To adopt, rescue, or buy?!

I have always wanted to Rescue a bird, ive encountered some Vary nice birds that have been rescued, and I figured there are a lot of birds out there that need good homes, I've done some of my homework so I know what birds would do well in a condo, and what birds may fit in once I've got them useto me.... But!

I've found a pair of CAG's that have no names, havent breed but are kept as breeders and have never been handled, meeting them for the first time was intimidating, they both growled at me, the male hissed and growled and screamed when I got too close, the female wanted nothing to do with me, and went to her "person" who was afraid to pick her up, due to her being unpredictable. I was considering rescueing them, but after that incounter, I desided to hold off.. AGAIN.

online I found a rescue group that had a plucked naked TAG, but the waiting list for him was 5 people long, and I was told not to bother putting in an application, as I had never had a bird before, and my "experience" with lovebirds when I was younger dosent count, but I could try to adopt another lovebird, If I really wanted to get a bird.

A friend told me I should speak to a breeder if I wanted info, they said that was the best way to find out what was better for me, but the breeder I spoke to, told me never to Rescue or adopt. (I know he wanted to sell his babys rather then loose a potential buyer) but with all this info floating around, I really dont know what is better, Ive lived with and trained all kinds of animals, including a beta fish to jump threw a hoop.

Ive been looking this up and getting myself ready for close to 10 years, I finally have a stable job and life, in a stable home, but with the info I have on rescued birds becomeing the best pets, and others telling me horror stories of birds they tried to "tame" (both hand raised and rescued) and couldent, forceing them to rehome the bird, has me at a stand still.

help... some info please? I want kids but...well, I figured a bird is the next best thing.

That a tough one, personally I would never take a rescue of a large bird, but if you feel confident and have done your research then I'm sure you could do it.

Maybe not 2 birds at a time though.

I personally went with a breeder but for a breeder to say never to adopt/rescue is just kind of mean

yea, the birds I went to see were kept in the same cage for 9 years, she wants nothing to do with him and hes "wild". but they have never had eggs, or even tried mating as far as I understand, and the man wont sell them seprately, though I understand why he wouldent, if they really are bonded, I don't want to be responsable for killing either of them by separateing them.

as for the breeder, I was going to buy a baby from him, but his words stopped me, I work in a animal rescue setting and a lot of animals are just misunderstood, they only need the right kind of people to adopt them. so now, I am looking for another breeder that I can speak with a few times, and get the feel of before I chance getting a lifelong baby from.

Its a big choice, I know and understand, its taken me 9 years to say, ok, I think I am ready. (my friend did the same thing when she adopted a little girl from over seas, and said I was overthinking this, cause its "just a bird")

Where you from? I may be able to help you find a good breeder

Not trien to physc you, its never "just a -Enter here-". It is always better to be prepared for something as big as taking another being it(especially something quite as needy as a bird in).

For that, I applaud you for taking so long, waiting for the right time!

Last edited:
I live in alaska, sadily we don't have vary many reputable breeders up here.

A lot of "breeders" start up a busness, only to dissappear in just a few years, or less. Everything is by word of mouth and This big name isnt Known by That big name, yet they are in the "same" busness.

Even more disturbing, a lot of people from outside of the states don't know these "big names" nothing is documented, and the few birds that are aquired from the outside are sold for 300 or less in just a few months, because they are a "handful". I have tried to contact these people, but they want a easy way out, and I am just "too far away" for them to even consider selling their bird to. (no names, just "the bird")

Bravo, for doing your research...good job...
First ask yourself what kind of species you are really looking for...what do you need in a bird...a talker, a cuddler, more quite, sweet, strong willed...a lot to think about...

I have to agree that a larger bird may not be the way to go for your first bird and I wouldn't go with a pair.....ultimately the choice is yours...
What kind of space do you have....how much time can you spend with a bird.

I won't get on my soap box...I will only say that I HATE when anyone says "it's just a bird"...uggggg...they are so much more.....

I wish you the best of luck....maybe skim through the different forums here of all the different species and ask lots of questions...we will do what we can to help...

Thankyou, yea Ive thought about it for years, I love the movie Paulie, but the blue crowned conure are impossable to find up here.

I have friends who have birds, ive been around them all my life, grew up with family who have had birds, I like love birds but they arnt my cup of tea, Ive babysat many Many Cockatiels and budgies, again vary noisy and not vary friendly, no matter how hard I tried to make friends.

The Unbrella Cockatoo I fell in love had so much dander, (maybe because he hated to bathe) I didnt want to take a chance of becoming allergic, I really like the Amazons, but everyone Ive been around started screaming when I turned my attention from them to my friends, I live in a condo, I really cant have a bird that does that on a drop of a dime.

I've been thinking about the Timneh African Grey, quiet, friendly, smart and cuddly. easily trained and vary long lived. It also might be because I had my first incounter when I was 14, I knew they were smart, but I hadent known they were that smart, I stopped some kids from laughing at this poor plucked bird in a pet store, he turned and walked over to me after I spoke to it for a few minuets, (I never put my fingers in bird cages, learned the hard way from a lovebird) but he invited me to pet his head and I fell in love.. long story short, I asked my parents If I could have him, they told me no and I left as the bird screamed for me to "come back!" threw a realistic baby cry at me and called me sunshine in an effort to get me to come back to his cage.

I've gone back many times, but I never found out where my bird ended up, I dont even know if he is still alive. Eventually the pet store changed owners, moved, then shut down a few years ago. I think thats why I want a African Grey.

Well, rather than pick a bird, I'd suggest letting a bird pick you. That's what that Grey did when you were younger and when you meet the right bird, it will happen again.

thats probably why I have waited so long. All these birds I've met and have gone to meet, none of them have clicked the way he did with me.

I wish I knew if it would be the same way if I got a baby. The click I had, when I first met my bird.

If you could recommend a few Timneh congo grey breeders, Id like to see if there are any within driving distance, or speak with them about any babies they have in the future.

Last edited:
ABIRD IS NOT THE NEXT BEST THING COMPARED TO A CHILD! I assume you have no children. Please don't get a bird hoping to replace having a child. Yes, birds are a big commitment, but nothing like having a child.

I whole heartedly agree with the breeder. If you do not have a good working knowledge of birds and quite a bit of bird experience, then I wouldn't adopt a rescue bird. Most have issues that will require people with bird experience to handle. If you do decide to adopt a rescue bird, it will either turn out good or more than likely bad. I would hate to see you get turned off with your first bird experience.

I know the adoption fee of rescue birds is appealing compared to buying one from a breeder. But with that come issues that you won't have if buying from a breeder who has hand fed their birds. BREEDER BIRDS most likely aren't tame and are most of the time aggressive.

Ohhhh, I forgot to add, if you want to adopt a previously owned bird that owner is trying to sell due to life changes or what ever. I say if you find one that you like and that seems to like you then go for it.

But first, make sure of a few things, see if they have vet records on the bird to show it's been well taken care of. Also. most will claim that their birds are HAND TAME or JUST TAME. Ask them to prove to you that they can handle the bird, if the owner show hesitation, then the bird has been cage bound, abused or neglected. That is when you walk away, no matter how sorry you feel for the bird or how much you want him. Unless you in for one heck of a challenge.

Oh my, it sounds like you are smitten with the greys.....so the species question has been answered..LOL
I am all for rescue and adoption but I have to say in my opinion (and thats all it is, is my opinion) I think you would be happier with a baby bird.
I have a friend that adopted a grey that was 18 years old...a lady just decided she didn't want him anymore....My friend has had him for nearly six months and he can't believe how awesome the bird is...but sadly that is not how a lot of those stories go.

As for a love bird...I love my little Ava....she was my very first bird and she came along when my oldest son was getting ready to graduate and move on with his life....she was just a joy that somehow filled something in me...I was terrified of birds but my husband talked me into getting her......she had an injured leg at the time...she needed me and I needed her....
I can understand why you don't want a lovebird for two reasons....because you were bit by one and because your heart already belongs to the greys...
I really do wish you the best of luck in your search, you sound like you have done your homework, and that you are commited, responsible and ready for this........

Im with the above, if you havent had actual hands on experience with your own parrot, i would buy one from a baby so you can bring it up and truely understanad your bird, i myself took on a '3rd hand bird' and she has tested me in everyway and continuies to do so. i wish i went to a breeder (but i wont give up on her!!) ..

... but also i agree, a bird will pick you, which can help on so may levels.
Initally birds may seem wonderful, but the work involved truely is a life commitment.

Dont let me put you off if this is what you want, but as mentioned have you conssidered a smaller breed? A parrots beak is incredible in strength, to many people i know ship off there bird as soon as it bites, i have had to have some stiches from mine and she is 'just' a Senegal!!

I wish you luck in finding a parrot, with all the grief, some how they caputure your heart!!!

This is a difficult topic. The shelters are full of great birds who of no fault of their own have lost their owners. On the other hand it is also full of birds who by inexperienced owners have been turned into problem birds. Do we advise a 1st time bird owner to buy a baby? I don't know the percentage of baby birds who get cycled into the shelters. I'm troubled that this happens more than baby birds who have found their forever home. If we continue to advise people to buy babies, are we filling the shelters w/problem birds. Do we tell them to take a chance on a shelter bird? Some of these birds have had 3-4 homes or more, do they deserve to cycled into yet another temporary situation. The only plus I see to a shelter bird is the strict policy of home visits & vetting by the shelters. If only this was done at a pet shop or breeder to make sure that the new bird owner is equipped & capable of having a parrot.

This is not a slam to you (don't know your login), its just a rant. I was a first time bird owner too. It could have gone the other way w/me, Merlin & I just got lucky. I just want to caution you to consider the bird when you make your decision. Its a life long commitment. Don't pick a bird because of its beautiful feathers or great talking ability, consider a bird because of how it will fit forever in your life. Good luck, I hope you find your bird friend & you're very happy together.

I am Most aware that a bird is Not a replacement for a child, My sister has kids, theres a well defined line between animal and kid "children", no I do not have kids, And as it is looking, I will not any time soon.

I'm not afraid of being bitten, by anything, I work with terrified animals on a daily basis, ive been bitten badly by many animals, when I was 19, a dog nearly took off a finger, 14 stitches to put the tip (including nail) back on. that has not stopped me from Loving and working with them. Ive been nearly trampled by a few horses threw the years, the last one crushed me between its chest and anothers rear, the fight I was cought up between was terrifiing, I still give those same horses my attention when I visit my older sister.

Its a bird yea, but how much damage can a 1.5 pound bird do? I am a moving target, and my limbs can be reattached, Ive already derermined that. Though, I think your right ellsiebird, im leaning more and more twords a baby.

As for cherry, I spent 9 years with her, every summer we would play hide and seek, get the treat, and can I touch you. I wasent just bit, I was Bitten many times, she was a savage little lovebird, but that never stopped me from trying to become her friend, she was my first real bird incounter I guess you can say. I think she liked me in her own special way, cause she would give her own special sound to me when I came into the room, but that didnt mean I could touch her.

thanks merlinsmom, yea I understand what your saying, and if I did that, an african grey wouldent be my first choice, it would be a B&G macaw, or a Umbrella Cockatoo, but my place is semi small, it may have two bathrooms and to bedrooms, but its not the place I grew up where it took a minuet to walk from one end to the other, and I like to travel, from what I understand Macaws dont travel well, and Cockatoos need several showers a day to keep the dander down.

The info Ive looked into shows Greys being good travel buddies, IF you train them. Id get a smaller bird if they worked into my lifestyle, but the trip to get Cherry to our summer home showed and it took a week for her to settle in and relax, and she had been doing it for 9 years, it only got worse with time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back