Snacking and bathing

0scar

Sep 24, 2012
Hi I adopted a cag and he came with food etc, the previous owner said to give him 8 pellets for breakfast and the same for dinner wich is fine but what and how much of other foods, nuts, seeds etc should I give during the day? Should his food bowl ever be empty or will he just constantly eat if its full all the time?

I was also wondering about how often I should spray him, owner said once a month but I think he thought I ment proper bathing. I read every day or every other? I add this solution to the water which they gave me and it keeps him virtually dust free.
Thanks for any advice you guys can give me.

Oscar,

wow, I have never heard of regulating a parrot with their food like that. 8 pellets for breakfast (that sure keeps the mess down!). I free feed my parrots and will rotate their food. I give them pellets and add seeds and fresh fruits and vegetables daily.
Here and there they will also get some nuts as treats. I think a balanced diet is key here.
As far as the bathing goes. Mine take their bath in their water bowl, but I do take them into the shower and give them a good soak. It is good for their feathers. Misting them is a good thing, some really enjoy it and you can repeat that as much as you or your bird likes.
Congratulations on your new bird!

Hi and thanks for the reply, yes they are good organic pellets and he's 8 now and never had any health problems, I'm goin to carry on with the pellets for meals and just make sure he has fruit and veg through out the day and save nuts etc for treats on an evening I think for now and see how it goes

First off get yourself a postage scale and learn from a vet what your birds weight should be. I find that feeding the fresh fruit and veggies for breakfast then removing them so they don't go bad and put in dry pellets for the day so if he gets hungry while I'm out he won't go hungry, and feed fresh fruit and veggies when I get home from work. try adjusting to that diet and keep up with the weight and adjust accordingly.

Birds have extremely high metabolic rates and should be allowed to eat as much (quality) food as they want. Their bodies are revving at high gear all day and need the fuel! It's all part of being able to fly--their bodies have so many different adaptations to permit this unique form of movement. Keep in mind that this doesn't mean a million nuts and seeds because their high fat content will lead to fatty liver disease. Pellets pellets pellets!

Most Reactions

Back