Simon is home - need lots of advice

mcmalott

Sep 11, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
Parrots
Vos Eclectus - male - Simon
YN Amazon - female - Lamont
Simon our 19 week old Vos Eclectus is finally home! We are so excited! He came from a wonderful breeder in Utah and I could not be more pleased with how she has raised him!

When he got home, he regressed a little bit with his weaning and has been bobbing/grabbing my finger like he wants formula. I think he is just being needy because of his move to a new home so I have been giving him a comfort feeding with a spoon at night...not sure if this is the right thing to do but my breeder says its okay for a bit...any suggestions? He does not bite hard but it is a good grip and very quick and repetitive - it does not hurt me but pinches.....

Also any suggestions on how to start him out so that he does not develop naughty habits that have to be corrected?

His diet is 70% RoudyBush 30% veggies and fruits and he really likes both so no issues there.

My other bird is a 34 year old Amazon that was rehomed to us so a baby Eclectus is very different and new for us! Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

I agree with probablyharrison. With any bird, their diet of pelleted food should not make up more than 40%. They should have ample amount of fresh fruits and veggies offered through out the day.

With that said, Nalani is offered fresh fruits/veggies, soak mix and sprouts all day. I give her a tablespoon of seeds and a tablespoon of organic pellets overnight to hold her till the next morning. Since your baby is pretty young, offer some of his favorite fruits. Nalani really likes corn and soybeans, so I offered that every single day to help encourage her to wean. Continue to give the evening feeding until he refuses the feeding all together. The trick is to not force anything on him. He is young, scared and just trying to adjust into his new home. It may take days, weeks or even months until he settles. So patience is the key.

Congratulations on your new baby boy!!

I would call the breeder to see how he was weaned... Some breeders feed with a spoon, others with a syringe, and some using crop feeding...

I would find out, how he was fed, and then give him a comfort feeding at night...

Start clicker training early. It turned my SI Female from a nightmare baby to a loving pet.

Most Reactions

Back