Sick Rabbit

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
I know there are at least a few rabbit owners on here, and I'm in desperate need of advice...Last night I went to feed Shasta, my holland lop, and rather than jumping up to greet me like she normally does, she didn't move at all. In fact, I had to pick her up to get any reaction out of her, and normally she hates being picked up. (I only do if I absolutely need to) She didn't even resist, and since last night I don't think she's eaten or pooped, although I was able to syringe feed her a small amount of water. Her temperature (just measured by feeling her ears) is very low compared to her normal temperature, but I have her wrapped in a towl with a heating pad on the other side of her cage wall.

I suspect GI stasis, but I don't know for sure. I can't find any rabbit vets open on a sunday, and the emergency vets in the area are really only for cats and dogs. One said it would take a rabbit, but I doubt if they have any real knowledge on rabbits, so I hesitate to bring her in. There is a vet who takes rabbits (actually knows about them, that is) nearby, but they won't be open until tomorrow. I'm worried that will be too late, though, since Shasta has hardly even moved since last night. Does anyone have suggestions or know of an emergency rabbit vet in my area? I live in Olympia, Washington.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have any pet stores open by you? If you do get some Alfalfa hay, Oxbow Critical Care and feeding syringes. Offer her the Alfalfa, it is like bunny crack, if she doesn't take it then you know something is definitely wrong. Next mix the Critical Care up with about twice as much water as they say to get it to flow better. Then syringe feed her.

If you don't have any pet stores open then go to a drug store and get some infant feeding syringes and pedialyte and give that to your bunny.

If you can't get either of those then try to get some water in her. If she's not eating she probably isn't drinking either and dehydration can be a cause of stasis.

GI stasis can go very bad very fast in a rabbit so you need to act quickly. Get her to the vet as soon as you can tomorrow.

I hope she feels better soon.

Thanks for the recommendation. She won't eat any of her favorite treats, so yes, she's absolutely very sick. I've never given her alfalfa before (she has unlimitted timothy hay), but I'll see if she'll eat it; I've heard most bunnies love it as a treat. Also, yes she is absolutely not drinking, so I'm very worried about dehydration. I'm trying to get as much liquid into her as I can...

In a situation like yours any vet will be better than none as the veterinary professional can go online and communicate with a 'rabbit' vet and get the information they need to help your pet. In GI stasis rehydration is the difference between life and death. Often getting IV or SQ fluids in a rabbit is the key to a successful outcome.

Good luck.

Just got her to drink about 3 tablespoons of water...thanks for the advice TessieB, but we're going to wait until morning and go to a "rabbit vet". We'll go first thing of course. I'll just do my best to keep her hydrated until then.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back